Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 09:56 AM

I need a little help

I could use some help on fly selection for a friend of mine. He is heading up to the Greer area to fish River Reservoir, and the Little Colorado river next week. Any help in fly selection would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 AM

One thing to watch over the next week or two is the carpenter ants. They usually appear in big numbers one week or two after the first summer soaker and can incite quite a feed. Ants will be a go to topwater pattern the rest of the summer, but there will be some time and places in the Whites the next couple weeks when you will not want to be without them.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:21 PM

Thank you, I will let him know.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 PM

Appreciate this thread, heading to greer for a few nights next week.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:26 PM

I talked David and he said try #16 Az. mini hoppers and #14 bead head simi seal leeches.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
I talked David and he said try #16 Az. mini hoppers and #14 bead head simi seal leeches.
Brad, when's your buddy leaving for the Whites? If time is available, I can tie up a selection of mini-hoppers and SSL for both of you. They take no time whatsoever to tie up and it'll give me an "excuse" to get on my two-wheeled scenic viewfinder steel stallion for supplies at Sportsman Warehouse in Show Low, if need be.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
One thing to watch over the next week or two is the carpenter ants. They usually appear in big numbers one week or two after the first summer soaker and can incite quite a feed. Ants will be a go to topwater pattern the rest of the summer, but there will be some time and places in the Whites the next couple weeks when you will not want to be without them.
Good call. We already started to see them last week when out on surveys. Not in big numbers yet, but here and there. There have also been decent size 14 mayfly hatches on the upper West Fork LCR (not sure how far OP is planning on going up in the LCR drainage).

A couple things to be mindful of. There is a Forest closure on the creek ABOVE Greer, so just check the Forest closure maps before heading up. Also, the LCR BELOW River Reservoir has been extremely warm with temps getting in the high 70's and even into the low 80's. So the resident trout in the creek will be extremely stressed.