Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Harvey Phineas Farkle > Fishiní with Harvey P.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM

A Different Set Of Rules

A DIFFERENT SET OF RULES

By Chip Chipman

Iíve been fly fishing for many years. Friends and acquaintances sometimes ask my advice regarding fly fishing and I am glad to answer their questions. Occasionally I am asked about bait fishing and I reply that I know little or nothing about the methods employed. That answer doesnít satisfy anyone.

So I thought I should at least learn a little about bait fishing. I had no intention of actually doing it, but by observing and perhaps asking a few questions I could learn a few things that I could tell someone when asked about bait fishing.

I am going to pass on to all of you fly fisherman some of the things I learned, just in case you are asked. You wonít have to plead ignorance.

Two rods are used. Every bait fisherman worth his cigarettes and beer has two rods. The rods should be heavy; none of those ultra lights will do. They fish the lakes so they donít have to do much walking. Bring a comfortable chair and a beverage cooler.
A large tackle box is popular because they need a lot of room for all the stuff a bait chucker needs. In addition, they seem to need a five-gallon bucket. Iím not sure why.

The bait fishermanís rods are permanently rigged up. They are removed from the back of the truck, ready for fishing except for baiting the hook. The rods are rigged with large sinkers, bobbers (a bobber is a humongous strike indicator), and treble hooks. Many use commercial bait in a jar, such as PowerBait or salmon eggs, and worms. Other baits used are off the grocery shelves -- cheese, corn, and marshmallows. Iím not kidding you.

I havenít figured out how they decide which bait to use. You donít see hatches of corn, cheese or marshmallows.

Once the hooks are baited the procedure is to throw the whole conglomeration out into the lake as far as possible. Or, if fishing from a boat they throw the stuff as close to the shore as possible. The sinker hits the water with a resounding KERPLUNK, immediately followed by SPLAT, as the bobber hits the surface. Bait fishing does not involve stealth.

Once the casts have been made, bank fishermen put the rods on the ground with the ends propped up a foot or so by a rock or forked stick -- the same rocks and forked sticks that we trip over after the bait fishermen have left.

Then they sit in the chair, smoke, drink beer, and watch the bobber. When the bobber starts bobbing, they jump out of the chair, grab the rod and reel in the fish, being careful not to spill the beer. After the fish is unhooked, it is put on a stringer or into a little wire cage and tossed back into the water to keep the fish alive -- if it survived the torture of removing a treble hook from its gut.

Bait fishermen also practice catch and release. Surprised? It does differ somewhat from the catch and release methods practiced by fly fishermen.

Hereís how it works. It begins when the number of fish caught approaches the legal limit. If the next fish caught is larger than the smallest one on the stringer or in the basket, the smaller one is replaced with the larger fish. The smaller fish is thrown back into the water. Maybe this explains why you may see several dead fish floating in the vicinity of bait fishermen.

If bait fishermen are not catching any fish and someone nearby is, they just move next to the other guy and fish where he is fishing. Itís part of bait-fishing culture.

When all through fishing, they clean the fish right there at the lake and throw the guts into the lake or on the bank, knowing that some animal will be grateful. Now they are all set to go home and put the fish into the freezer with all the rest of the fish and keep them until they get freezer burn and have to be thrown out.

They donít bother to pick up all those empty worm containers, bait jars, beer cans and trash. Someone else will do it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Don't forget also, they leave their empty bait containers, and beer cans on the shore to mark there spot.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge Master G View Post
Don't forget also, they leave their empty bait containers, and beer cans on the shore to mark there spot.
Oh! That's why. Often wondered about that.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
tramp ala trout

I have seen this behavior, and yes it makes me cringe. Let me ask you this. Have you ever met a flyfisherman that was not born with a flyrod in hand? I have met some very fine fly anglers who have at one time or another before confession and conversion were (gasp) bait fishermen. The reason I bring this up is not to pick a fight, but to plead with you to save flyfishing maybe! Flyfishing as with flyfishermen are probably on the decline. The reason, attrition. Attrition of the "purist" elitist" born only of scotch nobility who's birthright is flyfishing, the numbers are declining a heritage of art and function, and conservation could die with it. How do we revive flyfishing? I guess by generalizing the slob joe blow public fish slaughtering drunks, and granting them automatic heathen status, they will join us in our plight. Next we could chant "we are better than you are while they are trying to obliterate themselves with alcoholic beverages(god knows flyfishermen would never drink while fishing). Maybe we could just outlaw baitfishing or better yet baitfishermen? Heck we could require DNA tests for scottish nobility before a person would be allowed to fish.
All satire aside, I think if we dont at least try to expose (enlighten?) more of our pressumed advisary our "sport" will die Game and fish departments cater to the majority we flyfisherman are the minority. What do they think of us? On the bright side dont tell the other side and I hope they are not spying on us , but I have managed to recruit a few bait fisherman. I remember a couple of guys out on a boat at A-1 lake trolling I was fishing a hatch and doing ok I noticed they moved closer I automaticaly thought they were crowding me to get closer to my fortunate spot, however once near an amazing thing happened that took me completly by suprise they stopped reeled in and watched. I acknowleged their presence they replied "I dont know how you are doing that but it sure is cool".
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I steal Avatars!

We all know there are a few bad apples in every crowd but was this post really necessary? And coming from Chip no less... I thought he would be one of the last to drive the separation of sportsmen.

Boy "we" fly fishers can sure come off as some elitist A-Holes!

Josh

P.S. This post does not belong in the "Fishing with Harvey P." section. I mean, what would Harvey say???
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM
tramp ala trout

I am actually glad chip brought it up because there was an incident exactly what he describes that I observed last time I fished the lower salt, and I reacted in my own mind the same way. I have been prone to point out somebodies disregard be it law or common sence. But for some reason I felt a little embarassed for the guy, I thought geez the way this guy is acting is absurd he must not realize his own absurdness otherwise he would knock it off. Sometimes I have been guilty of elitism my 9 year old daughter may be the worst "but its cute when she does it". I had an opprotunity there perhaps. If I could have looked past the slothering blantant fish hoarding knuckle dragger, I might could have introduced him to fly fishing. When I look back I remember the young neanderthal becoming very frustrated his good fortune in catching his limit almost immeadiatly upon arrival left him well impetent with out anything to do I simply watched in amusment as he sit there fumming as I continued to fish.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Moment

What's up with the 5 gallon bucket? One would think it could be used as a trash bucket to place beer bottles and cigarette butts in.

Last edited by long ago; 02-04-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
tramp ala trout

it is what they could put there fish in or if they have a lid they could sit on it as well cmon buckets have all kind of uses.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
We all know there are a few bad apples in every crowd but was this post really necessary? And coming from Chip no less... I thought he would be one of the last to drive the separation of sportsmen.

Josh

P.S. This post does not belong in the "Fishing with Harvey P." section. I mean, what would Harvey say???
AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutramp
I am actually glad chip brought it up because there was an incident exactly what he describes that I observed last time I fished the lower salt, and I reacted in my own mind the same way. I have been prone to point out somebodies disregard be it law or common sence. But for some reason I felt a little embarassed for the guy, I thought geez the way this guy is acting is absurd he must not realize his own absurdness otherwise he would knock it off. Sometimes I have been guilty of elitism my 9 year old daughter may be the worst "but its cute when she does it". I had an opprotunity there perhaps. If I could have looked past the slothering blantant fish hoarding knuckle dragger, I might could have introduced him to fly fishing. When I look back I remember the young neanderthal becoming very frustrated his good fortune in catching his limit almost immeadiatly upon arrival left him well impetent with out anything to do I simply watched in amusment as he sit there fumming as I continued to fish.
If everyone was a elitist this world would be a pretty boring place. Sure I agree that some should be educated but not all bait fisherman are bad as not all fly fisherman elitist. I fish both ways and sometimes I keep fish. I told myself when I got into fly fishing that I would not be one of those "elitist A-Holes" like Josho mentioned because I think that it gives the sport a bad name and put a bad taste in my mouth when I first got into the sport. I have brought several individuals into fly fishing and they absolutely love it, do they keep fish? Yes! Are they bad for doing it? No. They way I look at it we are who we are and thats what makes the world go round. If you don't want to see these kinds of individuals then don't fish the lower Salt or the rim lakes or other places like this.

My 2 cents!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
In dog beers, only had 1

Location: Arizona resident since January, 1985; former Missouri resident - b&r.
Barbie & PowerBait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post

Why not from Chip? I bet Chip has plenty to say, both tongue-in-cheek, and serious. Take this any way you like, but as a baitfisher myself, I take no offense. It is pretty much on the mark. WAIT, are those things he says bad things?

Reminds me, I need to get out this weekend and try my new Barbie pole. A worm, a bobber, and a cold one. Will put it in the rodholder right next to my Spidey rod. Then sip some suds and get ready for the fun. Peace out