Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 06:37 PM

It's all relative if you live in or around Phoenix and move to Colorado you will find it to be quite peaceful.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztightlines View Post
I doubt if I will be moving north any time soon, but I am impressed with the Arkansas River Valley... old railroad towns of Salida, Buena (pronounced Bewna)Vista up and down the Arkansas.

A large river-running community of young folks in the summers, famous hatches, good fly shops/outfitters up and down the valley make for a nice community.

Maybe ignoring that railroads and mining have been replaced by the prison industry, it still seems like a fairly idyllic setting and good fishing all around.

I don't ski any more, but several major ski areas are nearby...it is far enough from Denver to discourage the day trippers and neighboring valleys, like the Gunnison, make for plenty of fishing opportunities.

Surrounded by 14,000+ peaks, it is not that high in elevation, so shouldn't be too cold in the winter.
It is absolutely an amazing place, perhaps my favorite in Colorado. The upper Arkansas river may be the most scenic place in Colorado to fly fish on gold medal water. There's something amazing about that valley surrounded by Mt. Massive, Mt. Elbert, and of course the collegiate peaks. Pretty much the entire upper Arkansas minutes away, plus the Pueblo Tailwater an easy daytrip. Monarch Mountain outside Salida is maybe my favorite ski area in Colorado. Never a lift line, amazing powder, great terrain, friendly staff. If you're ever in Salida stopping by Moonlight Pizza and Brewery is a must. I highly recommend the Mirkwood chicken pizza (named after Monarch Mountain's back country bowl terrain).Crested Butte and Gunnison are nice towns too, and there's a small town feel despite being only a couple hours from major metro areas.

There's Leadville, which is amazingly scenic and surprisingly one of the more affordable mountain towns. Of course life year round at 10K feet is a bit rough.

That being said, it's not cheap to live in any of those locations. Certainly not as bad as the I-70 mountain ski towns, but a definite increase from AZ.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 PM

I have not been on this site in many months but interesting topic as I am in the same boat. I have a cabin up in payson but long term it is not cutting it for fishing. I spend a week a year fishing Yellowstone and have for 20 years. I think Bozeman would be great as you are still close to the park and paradise valley. My wife and I just spent a week looking around Pagosa and Durango to get a feel for that since it would be close to do the snowbird thing when I retire next year. Our next trip will be Idaho in the spring. Keep the ideas coming and thank you!
Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 PM
FJ Cruiser

Coeur d’Alene Idaho would be a great spot. Great location to fish Washington, Montana, Canada & of course Idaho. I've fished northeast Washington, lots of Brook Trout. Small lakes to yourself. Small creeks with descent size Brookies. I'll be retiring up there in 12 yrs
Old 10-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFJ View Post
Coeur d’Alene Idaho would be a great spot. Great location to fish Washington, Montana, Canada & of course Idaho. I've fished northeast Washington, lots of Brook Trout. Small lakes to yourself. Small creeks with descent size Brookies. I'll be retiring up there in 12 yrs
Funny side note: We lived in Spokane, WA for 18 months while I got my Masters at WSU. First week we were there the local radio station had a call-in session where they posed the question "What is the best thing about Spokane?". The fan favorite response at the end of the day: Coeur d’Alene, Idaho (30 min away).
Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 PM

Payson Lazer,

I lived and fly fished in Colorado for almost forty years. I lived in the Denver metro area and during that time, I thought about where I would live in the mountains. Bwena Vista is my choice; however, there is only one down side to Bwena Vista and that is the prison. Many years ago, locals complained about the bright lights. I don't know if that's still a problem but if it is, I suggest you buy property on the north side of town away from the prison.

If you do move to BV, contact me by PM and I will give you directions to my favorite high mountain lake (12,200') where you can catch cutthroats to 23 inches. All you need is a chair, fly rod and small nymphs you can strip through the water at a distance of about ten yards. The South Platte River in Elevenmile Canyon (my all time favorite river location in Colorado) is an easy day trip. To the north out of Unleadedville, is Fremont Pass, drive over the pass toward Copper Mountain.

Going north and just below the summit of the pass on the right side of the highway is Clinton Reservoir (an unfortunate name for such a nice reservoir). There are parking areas on the south side of the dam and on the north. Park in the north, take a lunch, rain jacket and your fishing gear and walk the trail to the upper end of the reservoir (about one easy mile). Near the creek inlet, fish on the north side from a sand bar. Colorado Parks and Wildlife uses cutthroats from Clinton for milt and eggs for hatcheries.

From BV, drive west over a paved high mountain pass, Cottonwood Pass, into Taylor Park. The Taylor river headwaters at the northern end of the park and meanders down to Taylor reservoir. You have about 15 miles of easy fishing in the Taylor by walking the bank and tossing dry flies or nymphs in likely places. You won't catch gorillas but you will find brown trout to around 12 inches.

Below the reservoir is where you are required to take you own rock to stand on because you will find guides homesteading places and other anglers vying for good places to catch the eight pound rainbows. The hot pattern there is the Mysis shrimp. I'm not a lunker hunter so the river above the reservoir is my ticket.

About half way up the park are two small man made lakes, Pothole #1 and Pothole #2. You can throw a stone into them from the road. Casting nymphs from the shore should bring many stocked rainbows to about 12 inches.

FYI, Colorado has 53 peaks exceeding 14,000 feet. Many of them start at the lower Arkansas valley. Near the intersection of U.S. 50 and U.S. 285, just west of Salida, you find Mts. Tabawauch (sp), Shavano, Antero, Princeton, Columbia and the rest of the collegiate peaks almost to Unleadedville. From Leadville to the west, you will see Mt. Elbert, Colorado's highest peak at 14, 435' and Mt. Massive, Colorado' second highest peak at 14, 433'.

Contact me if you have questions. I should mention, I love Colorado.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 10-30-2018 at 10:10 PM.