Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 05:52 PM

I just relocated from Gilbert to Sarasota FL for work. While not as cheap as AZ it’s definitely cheaper than most places out West.

I’m digging the salt life. I have flats less than 2 miles from me and the largest migration of tarpon anywhere in the world just 30 mins south in Boca Grande (bought an 11 at but haven’t busted it out yet). Two months in and I don’t care to catch a trout anytime soon. Oh- and even with the humidity, the weather is much more bearable than AZ. Although, I’m sure many of you have seen on the national news...Red Tide has been awful this year.

Just another option. I didn’t think I would love the salt as much as I am.

Last edited by kad1979; 08-11-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM

I'm leaving in a week to check out both the Boise area and north of there around Caldwell, as well as Idaho Falls and up to West Yellowstone and the greater Yellowstone area. I'll fly into Boise and rent a car. After checking out that general area I will head to Idaho Falls following HW 20. I'd welcome any specific direction for any of those areas. I'll have about 10 days to explore with 6-7 of those days in Idaho Falls and Yellowstone. Thx.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonLazerLiner View Post
I'm leaving in a week to check out both the Boise area and north of there around Caldwell, as well as Idaho Falls and up to West Yellowstone and the greater Yellowstone area. I'll fly into Boise and rent a car. After checking out that general area I will head to Idaho Falls following HW 20. I'd welcome any specific direction for any of those areas. I'll have about 10 days to explore with 6-7 of those days in Idaho Falls and Yellowstone. Thx.
I don’t have any info to contribute to your moving efforts, but I just want to wish you well. That’s awesome for you to be able to make a move and enjoy a new area of fishing! Enjoy!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM

I was born in Boise and grew up on the ID/OR border about an hour west of Boise. Boise is a great place to live, but the fishing around there isn't as good as Bend or Idaho Falls. Fish & Game plants the Boise River with excess Steelhead from the hatchery that they didn't need for the eggs, but I don't know how good the fishing is for them. I just know you can catch them right downtown as the river flows right through town. About an hour east is the S. Fork of the Boise below Anderson Ranch Dam. That is really good trout fishing. The Owyhee over in Oregon is about an hour away, maybe a little more, and it has huge browns but also huge crowds. Those are the two main fisheries around Boise, but there are a lot of little streams to bushwhack up in the mountains if that's your thing. I think they also stock surplus steelhead on the Snake River below Oxbow dam and I have a friend who does well for them fishing from float tubes.

I think you'll be more impressed with the water around Idaho Falls. Maybe you should hire a guide and float the S. Fork of the Snake just outside of Idaho Falls. That will give you a good idea about that river. Then drive up into SW Montana from there. Check out the area around Ennis. If you want salmon & steelhead as well as trout, you probably ought to stick with Oregon. Bend is quite a drive from the coastal streams that harbor the salmon & steelhead. There are Steelhead on the Deschutes River though, and that is pretty close to Bend. But I hear they started releasing water out of the top of Lake Billy Chinook, rather than the bottom, warming the water significantly and causing a decline in the quality of the trout fishing. There is a ton of trout fishing around Bend, both mountain lakes and streams. I went to school in Eugene, OR and lived in Portland for about five years. There is good salmon and steelhead fishing on the coastal streams, but you need to be part duck to live there due to all the rain. I think I'd live in Bend where you get all four seasons and just make weekend trips to the coast for the big fish.

Also, check out Westfly.com for a good fly fishing online community. It's primarily an OR board, but they have an ID section too.

Last edited by KellyC; 09-11-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 PM

FWIW, Bozeman seamed like the perfect sized town. Not too big but has all the amenities. Obviously tons of world class fishing around.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:18 PM

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Ironically this is something that I have been looking at as well recently. I spent a week hunting in Wyoming at the beginning of October at the base of the Bighorn Mountains, and it brought back to mind what I really want in a location to live.I live in Colorado Springs, which you'd think would fill the bill- world class skiing all over Colorado, multiple sections of the South Platte (Dream Stream, Cheesman, Deckers, 11 Mile) all within an hour or so. But the nearest major ski resort is still 2.5 hours away, the area is fairly expensive by my standards, the population is booming and it's crowded with a high crime rate (working in a level 1 trauma ICU, amazes me the amount of violent crime).

Been thinking for awhile that while I'm young and unattached I should make a move somewhere with fewer people, closer to skiing (I try and ski twice a week in the winter, only working three days a week allows that), with a more laid back and less crowded vibe that I want, along with great fishing close by.

Not certain if I'm gonna do it as I do like Colorado and have only scratched the surface of the skiing, fishing, and hiking/backpacking opportunities but I'm considering a move as well.

Been looking at Montana and Idaho in particular. Bozeman, Missoula, Kallispell, and Idaho Falls all fit the bill. Been looking hard at Kallispell and Idaho Falls. I think you have the right idea- go up there, make a trip, and see what you like best. Maybe I'll see ya on the water some day!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 AM

I enjoy this thread. Payson, have you made a decision? Or are you still looking?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
...I live in Colorado Springs, ... the area is fairly expensive by my standards, the population is booming and it's crowded with a high crime rate (working in a level 1 trauma ICU, amazes me the amount of violent crime).
...!
I was thinking of moving to Colorado Springs and was just starting research when I saw your post. The first link Google showed me was this.
"Based on FBI crime data, Colorado Springs is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Colorado, Colorado Springs has a crime rate that is higher than 88% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes."

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep looking.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:48 PM

I doubt if I will be moving north any time soon, but I am impressed with the Arkansas River Valley... old railroad towns of Salida, Buena (pronounced Bewna)Vista up and down the Arkansas.

A large river-running community of young folks in the summers, famous hatches, good fly shops/outfitters up and down the valley make for a nice community.

Maybe ignoring that railroads and mining have been replaced by the prison industry, it still seems like a fairly idyllic setting and good fishing all around.

I don't ski any more, but several major ski areas are nearby...it is far enough from Denver to discourage the day trippers and neighboring valleys, like the Gunnison, make for plenty of fishing opportunities.

Surrounded by 14,000+ peaks, it is not that high in elevation, so shouldn't be too cold in the winter.