Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM
Always Improving

Blue Ridge has filled...

https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/l...204f6803f.html

The link above deals with an article in yesterday's Payson Roundup, detailing how Blue Ridge, aka CC Cragin, has been revived through a series of winter storms. I was there in September or October last year, and was distraught to see nothing but a rather stingy mud hole.

Now to see it has filled brings much delight to my senses! Can't wait for AGF to start stocking (if they haven't already done so) and see if any of those brownies are hold overs.

If you recall the old boat ramp, it was a case of steel nerves backing down that narrow dirt path with a boat. The new ramp is simply "meh", no big deal but such an improvement.

Anxious to hit Chevy as it is also spilling.

Great news for Rim fisheries!

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM

How did you find out that Chevy is already spilling?
Old 02-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Nymphmaster P

Would be awesome if Marshall and Lower Lake Mary filled this year, trout growing factories.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 PM

That is great news about Blue Ridge, I've never been but it looks really pretty up there. Heard it could be tough to fish because of the depth. Doesn't it also feed the East Verde? If so, that means good things for the East Verde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDrifli View Post
Would be awesome if Marshall and Lower Lake Mary filled this year, trout growing factories.
I decided to go chase pike (no luck) last November in Upper Lake Mary and IT was as dry as I've ever seen it. All of the spots that people were catching pike in YouTube videos in previous years were bone dry. So I'd settle for Upper Lake Mary to refill and give those pike a nice place to spawn and thrive when the ice melts! Lower Lake Mary would just be icing on the cake.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Blue Ridge Reservoir is on East Clear Creek, which eventually flows into the Little Colorado River near Winslow. I often confuse the all the creeks with East in them too.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrout View Post
How did you find out that Chevy is already spilling?
A member of an Arizona Fly Fishing FB page was at Chevy recently, and provided the info.

Payson is under a Winter Storm Warning starting Feb 17 @ 11am through Monday Feb 18 @ 11pm. We are slated to get anywhere from 7"-11" of snow during that time frame.

Not exactly sure how much the Rim will get, but figure at least another good 8"+.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsbertMontcroffEsq View Post
That is great news about Blue Ridge...Doesn't it also feed the East Verde? If so, that means good things for the East Verde.
Yes, Blue Ridge feeds the East Verde drainage.

Within the next week or two, Payson and communities will start receiving a water allotment from Blue Ridge Reservoir. 3000 acre feet will start filling our aquifers bringing an end to the water woes of our community. While other Arizona communities are looking to restrict water usage, Payson and the areas of Washington Park, Whispering Pines, Beaver Valley, Freedom Acres and Mesa Del will be receiving a significant shot in the arm of fresh water for our needs.

It took our local Town of Payson Water Department Head well over 20 years to get this goal accomplished. The last details on the amount of water Payson alone will receive, shall sustain an in-town population of 30K residents for many years. With that type of growth, I truly hope a bypass will be completed to divert that much more traffic around the south and east side of Payson to the east side of Star Valley. The congestion is unbelievable on weekends as it is...

Last edited by david vaughn; 02-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 AM

M Lopez says Blue Ridge feeds the Little Colorado River at Winslow and Vaughn say is feeds the Verde. Huh?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 AM

Been a while since I chimed in.....

They are both correct.

The reservoir is on East Clear Creek. However, they pump some water over the Mogollon Rim into the East Verde.

Originally the Phelps Dodge mining company (now Freeport-McMoran) had an agreement with SRP. They would "borrow" water in another place for operations and pay SRP back by pumping flow out of East Clear into the East Verde.

I am unsure what the agreement is now, but believe Payson holds some water rights which are realized by this same method .
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 AM
Always Improving

https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/l...457e758f9.html

34" at my house in Star Valley just east of Payson this past week. 40"+ on top of the Rim and I'm quite certain many of those lakes will continue to spill for some time. Should be some good opportunities once the roads open up for us.

Interesting article in the Payson Roundup yesterday, on how much is spilling at the moment into East Clear Creek. Makes one wonder just how nutrient rich that runoff will be to both the lake and creek.