Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2018, 07:18 PM

Frye Mesa

Has anyone fished Frye Mesa lately?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 PM

FM Reservoir has been stocked with Gila trout this year and I have seen some photos of GT. Frye Creek is still healing from the latest fire. I have not been there yet but have heard the road is rough.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 PM

joe,

Thank you for this response and the one about the Black River.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Learning as we go

Haven’t been there since before the fire burned through there. But the road wasn’t too bad up to the reservoir. The road that goes passed the reservoir to the access point for the creek is way rough and I barely got my truck up there. I wouldn’t try it again.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:39 PM

I heard that road above the lake is closed. The creek is definitely damaged now and unfishable - off limits.

The lake should have some fish - I fished it a couple of years ago from the bank, mostly roll casting and managed to land a few very small gila trout. I would suggest a float tube/pontoon boat.

The water is clear and deep, not accessible much from shore...best spot is probably across the lake from the parking lot by the dam where the creek enters the lake in a miniature delta section. I caught one small fish right under the waterfall up the little creek, above the lake, in a small pool.

The road up is not that bad, ordinarily, and a 2-wheel-drive is fine if you don't get in a hurry. A very scenic, beautiful place, Frye Mesa.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:07 PM

tightlines,

Thanks for the update. I have no plans to go past the lake. Looking at an aerial view of the lake, it appears there is good back casting places but, as you say, this is not so. I have a pontoon boat. The access road should be no problem for my vehicle.

My goal by going to Frye is to fulfill a bucket list item by catching at least one Gila Trout. If it's four inches long, that will be good enough for me.

Before I departed Colorado, two bucket list trout I wanted to catch were a Tiger and a Golden trout. I caught a four inch Tiger (I've since caught one about ten inches from Woods Canyon lake) and a four inch Golden. I'll probably never be in a position to catch another Golden so I'll be satisfied with the four incher.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Bucksnort,

If you are not a member of Desert Flycasters, you should be.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
tightlines,

Thanks for the update. I have no plans to go past the lake. Looking at an aerial view of the lake, it appears there is good back casting places but, as you say, this is not so. I have a pontoon boat. The access road should be no problem for my vehicle.

My goal by going to Frye is to fulfill a bucket list item by catching at least one Gila Trout. If it's four inches long, that will be good enough for me.

Before I departed Colorado, two bucket list trout I wanted to catch were a Tiger and a Golden trout. I caught a four inch Tiger (I've since caught one about ten inches from Woods Canyon lake) and a four inch Golden. I'll probably never be in a position to catch another Golden so I'll be satisfied with the four incher.
Let me know if and when you plan a trip over there, maybe we can hook up.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 PM

joe,

I am a member of Desert Fly Casters.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 PM

tightlines,

I will depart Gilbert on the 10th or 11th for Frye Mesa. I want to head into the White Mountains after Frye. What are your thoughts?