Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Carpool

Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 PM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Send a message via AIM to Charlie
Oak Creek

Greetings!

No Guiding Saturday or Fish and Stays, so I am taking the day to fish Oak Creek, talk to Will about big Brown action so I have a plan. Anyone interested, in coming with, PM me. I know this is last min, but this how I roll. I will be heading out of Peoria, AZ, so keep that in mind.

Plan on Dawn to Dusk.

thanks

Charlie

Trout Unlimited Endorsed Guide
AZ Licensed Fishing Guide
Cortland Dealer
69 Cent Trout Flies!
http://www.azfishguide.com/wordpress/

Last edited by Charlie; 06-14-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 AM

Talk about a missed opportunity. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Oh Charlie... I would have gone and split gas with you on Sat. I'm just sitting home watching TV and tying flies today?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 AM

Yea, when I got the message my wife knew from the look on my face that she was going to get barraged with "it's been a long week", "I've been wanting to fish <fill in the blank> creek" or some other plea that always follows the unique sound of a tapatalk forum PM. The eyebrows raise, my eyes come to life and the slow-turn of my head towards her as I plan my strategy. I have no poker-face when it comes to these types of plans. Unfortunately, we have a contractor coming over at noon to discuss the final plans for an upcoming home project (and I better be there). Looking forward to hearing how you did Charlie!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 PM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Hey Folks,
Well that was my first trip to Oak Creek, mostly because being south of Tucson, it seem a bit out of the way when there was so many very good streams to fish closer.

Well now that we have moved to Peoria AZ, things have changed. I am very glad I took the day to spend on Oak Creek. It was awesome. Water is bigger then most in AZ, some very Deep Pools, good flow and trails that can get you away from the crowds.

I spent a good deal of the day just upstream from Grasshopper Point. I really liked the water in that stretch, and had hours of the stream to myself, not bad for a Saturday! Don't get my wrong the creek in other places was packed, mostly at the swimming holes but once you got away from them... all was well.

Fishing was great, got my share of Brown Trout action including a nice 18 incher. I used a Yellow Stimi size 12 most of the day. Early evening I went to some big streamers, Zonker Natural Color and my lead eye Green Gonga, both worked out well.

I spent over 12 hours on the Creek and barely scratched the surface on the water I wanted to cover. I can promise ya this, I'll be back. Going to focus some time on the Catch and Release section next time and work further upstream from Grasshopper Point.

I will put a note out when I am going again. This weekend I will be up at the Cabin. Saturday late afternoon early Evening I am thinking of hitting Canyon Creek for some Brown Trout Action. I have done my best on that stream right before and right after sunset. You can get some amazing top water action. I like using Big Beetles or a Big ole Hopper then as well.. Fun Stuff....

Cheers!

Charlie

Thanks

Cortland Dealer
69 Cent Trout Flies!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 PM
You probably wont get it.

What... No pics from the guide??
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 AM

I need to spend some more time on OC myself. I've only been fished it twice and got skunked both times.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:49 PM
will work for trout

oak is a fickle biotch... it took me a good half dozen times up there before i could consistently get into fish
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM
You probably wont get it.

I've caught nice fish there and been skunked.. I need to get back. I've even fished spots I've recognized off ians pics without the monster browns though .haha. pics are just necessary people! If you're gonna describe it I want visuals!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noj View Post
What... No pics from the guide??
No Brown Trout Pics this year in less its over 21 inches, has to do with a contest I got going on with my son... may not get many Pics from this year in less I get my Cr#p together.

However, with that said, there in there, I just scratched the surface on that stream as far as coverage goes.. My goal is to land one over 21 to hand there this year. This stream is new to me too, just learning the water and what they like, just getting started.

Cortland Dealer
69 Cent Trout Flies!