Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
Wish my wife needed a boat.
I heed the words of many former boat owners.... The happiest days of your life are when you buy the boat, then when you sell the boat...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 AM

I have been out of the boat buying business for the last several years but I can tell you that Flats Man's boat sounds like a smokin deal for the right buyer.

If I were to buy a boat for my personal use at the Ferry, it would be WELDED aluminum, 16 to 18-ft long, with a 40 to 60-hp 4-stroke engine. I have seen some Smoker Craft boats that look like the ideal Lees Ferry boat (In Alaska, never in AZ.)http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/....aspx?typeid=4 I would not hesitate to buy a boat hull used but I'm always cautious of buying a used outboard...I break engines in very gently and double the factory recommendation.

A flat bottom, john type boat is good except for in choppy water. I would choose a boat that has some "v" to the bow for cutting through waves. The length and power are for those rare days when the wind picks up. There have been a couple of times that I have been scared in my 22-ft, 225hp boat because of the wind and waves. In a smaller boat I would have put to shore and waited it out. Boats with windshields are good on chilly mornings but windshields can get in the way of fishing.

Boats are expensive and a luxury item, or in my case, a tool that costs lots of money to maintain and operate. I would set a budget, I would consider buying used, I would look around and be prepared to travel to purchase, be patient, and find the boat that suits my needs more than my wants.

If you or your son would like more of my opinions or advise on boats please feel free to PM me any time.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Still Learning

There is an old adage... "If it floats, flys or F***'s rent it!". There is a certain peace of mind getting into a rental that you know has been maintained, has fresh gas and a clean carburetor.

(Now for the political correctness... I've been married 21 years and this is in no way meant to be demeaning to anyone of the opposite gender!!! A good wife is better than a boat any day. )
Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 AM

I have a Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW with a 60HP 4 stroke Mercury. It is a great boat for the Ferry. Very shallow V to float shallow water. All the benifits of an aluminum boat. The wide open bass type decks are a fly fishermans dream. Great decks to handle all the loose fly line. It has also been a good boat for the lakes. Fuel mileage on the 4 stroke is excellent. Fish 3 full days on the Ferry and use maybe 15 gallons of gas.
I did a bunch of research and for the money a very very good buy. Bass Pro has some very good deals going. These boats are turn key. All you need to buy extra are life jackets and an anchor system.
I have had mine for a year now and for the money I wouldn't trade it for any other type aluminum boat in its class.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

I have an aluminum Bass Tracker that has been to the Ferry. Worked out fine. Bring an extra prop and watch the channel closely. I had the benefit of doing the river in a jet boat with a guide on day 1. He showed me where to run and how to read the river. It was a blast. I need to go back.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Wind Knot Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flats Man View Post
Here is the ad for my boat...

FOR SALE-

1989 Kingfisher with a Johnson 200 H.P. Engine

$5750 OBO

I purchased this boat about a year ago and put over $6,000 in to it.
NEW Motor Guide Trolling Motor (55 lbs of thrust)
New Eagle Fish Finder (Same unit in front and back) paid $400
New Throttle assembly
New lower unit (the first thing to go in older boats)
Almost new Interior (re-upholstered in 2006)
Always covered and professionally maintained by Pat and Larry at Props Plus
New Bimini Top
New Fuel sending unit and gauge
New bilge pumps and lights
New Trailor Lights, Bearings, and Tires (Cost was $900)
Everything works!
This boat will easily do 60+ MPH. Excellent compression left on engine, all receipts and records on hand. Runs flawlessly...

The price in the ad is negotiable. I failed to mention in the ad the the trailor is dual axle and has breaks (new wiring harness and LED lights). You could probably get in to my boat for less than a tracker depending on the year and model. Considering that everything on this boat has already broke (the lower unit to the guages and everything in between) and been replaced with new parts, this boat in turnkey and needs no work whatsoever. Bottom line, I have two boats and one needs to go ASAP!
Flats Man:

Great boat and killer price - it is simply more boat than what he is looking for.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Wind Knot Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gunn View Post
I have been out of the boat buying business for the last several years but I can tell you that Flats Man's boat sounds like a smokin deal for the right buyer.

If I were to buy a boat for my personal use at the Ferry, it would be WELDED aluminum, 16 to 18-ft long, with a 40 to 60-hp 4-stroke engine. I have seen some Smoker Craft boats that look like the ideal Lees Ferry boat (In Alaska, never in AZ.)http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/....aspx?typeid=4 I would not hesitate to buy a boat hull used but I'm always cautious of buying a used outboard...I break engines in very gently and double the factory recommendation.

A flat bottom, john type boat is good except for in choppy water. I would choose a boat that has some "v" to the bow for cutting through waves. The length and power are for those rare days when the wind picks up. There have been a couple of times that I have been scared in my 22-ft, 225hp boat because of the wind and waves. In a smaller boat I would have put to shore and waited it out. Boats with windshields are good on chilly mornings but windshields can get in the way of fishing.

Boats are expensive and a luxury item, or in my case, a tool that costs lots of money to maintain and operate. I would set a budget, I would consider buying used, I would look around and be prepared to travel to purchase, be patient, and find the boat that suits my needs more than my wants.

If you or your son would like more of my opinions or advise on boats please feel free to PM me any time.
Terry:

Thanks much for your comments. I can't think of anyone I'd trust more than you to advise what type of boat would work great for the Ferry. I concur with you on used motors - buyer beware

What is your opinion on prop versus jet outboards?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Wind Knot Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Man View Post
I have a Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW with a 60HP 4 stroke Mercury. It is a great boat for the Ferry. Very shallow V to float shallow water. All the benifits of an aluminum boat. The wide open bass type decks are a fly fishermans dream. Great decks to handle all the loose fly line. It has also been a good boat for the lakes. Fuel mileage on the 4 stroke is excellent. Fish 3 full days on the Ferry and use maybe 15 gallons of gas.
I did a bunch of research and for the money a very very good buy. Bass Pro has some very good deals going. These boats are turn key. All you need to buy extra are life jackets and an anchor system.
I have had mine for a year now and for the money I wouldn't trade it for any other type aluminum boat in its class.
Fly Man:

After some preliminary research, this is the exact boat my son picked. I'd love to pick up one of these used and then get a new outboard 4-stroke. My aunt just finished visiting from MO. She lives five miles from the Tracker factory. She claims she can get us a swinging deal on a new one through a friend that is a factory manager. We will see if the talk proves out.

Is your 60 Merc a prop or jet? Do you find sonar useful on Ferry? Have you adapted any special attachments for securing your fly rods?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
Terry:

What is your opinion on prop versus jet outboards?
Prop, no question. The jet is loud and there is a 30% loss of power and fuel efficiency. The downside is the learning curve of navigating the river and getting a few props repaired.

Don't let this scare you away but here is a photo of a trout sculpture on a gate at my house. Notice it is constructed almost entirely of SKEGS with a few prop blades thrown in. This represents a couple decades of collecting off of the various shallow spots on the river.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Wind Knot Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gunn View Post
Prop, no question. The jet is loud and there is a 30% loss of power and fuel efficiency. The downside is the learning curve of navigating the river and getting a few props repaired.

Don't let this scare you away but here is a photo of a trout sculpture on a gate at my house. Notice it is constructed almost entirely of SKEGS with a few prop blades thrown in. This represents a couple decades of collecting off of the various shallow spots on the river.

Terry:

What a great photo. I guess if your not bending a prop once in a while, your not having fun I've read where other members of this forum simply carry an extra prop with them to cover all contingencies.

Thanks again.