Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2015, 03:09 PM

Iron Fly is coming to Phoenix

This has been going on around the country for just over a year now and the time has come to put on your drinkin shoes, tying pants and let the tying begin.The idea is a spin off from the classic show "Iron Chef". Tiers will recieve a mystery bag of materials given right before every round and will be given a specific category of fly to tie. Judging will be done based on creative use of weird materials, fishiness, and possibly how ridiculous you can get. Bring your A game and lets spin some wicked bugs!!! Open tying will be held before contest starts.

Date: Friday Feb. 13th
Time: About 9pm, right after the film tour!

Local: Boulders on Broadway in Tempe

Cost: Absolutely FREE! However, there will be a donation jar for Project Healing Waters and it would be cool if you put a few bucks in there.

Other details: Prizes to be given, raffles to be had, donations to Project Healing Waters to be made. I'll update the details as we finish putting this thing together.
I'd also like to stress that we WILL NOT be able to furnish a vise and tools for everyone. If you have your own kit please bring it along so that those who are brand new to tying or don't have their own gear can used the stuff that we are furnishing. There will be a couple of vises from Wolff Indiana that you can check out before we give them away as prizes as well (thanks to southwest custom flyrods).

Huge thanks to the following:
Redington
Loon Outdoors
The Desert Sportsman (OUR local fly shop)
John Rohmer Materials
Vedavoo
Causwell
Wyco Fly Co.
Scientific Anglers
Poler
Southwest Custom Rods
Treeline Outdoors
Loser Machine Co/Dark Seas
Strip'n Flywear
and of course Pig Farm Ink

Last edited by Zor; 01-26-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:15 PM

I'd also like to get an idea of what kind of turnout to expect so I can prepare enough materials and have enough extra vises and tools to have. I also want everyone who shows up to bring a friend that doesn't tie flies or fly fish as a way to introduce them to a great new way to waste time.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Sounds awesome. I can barely tie a fly to a line, nevermind actually tie a fly, but thanks for the donation to Project Healing Waters, that will be much appreciated!!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior63 View Post
Sounds awesome. I can barely tie a fly to a line, nevermind actually tie a fly, but thanks for the donation to Project Healing Waters, that will be much appreciated!!
Learning and teaching is really the point behind doing this. There will be experienced tiers there who can give you tips and techniques for tying efficiently, tying extravagantly or just tying a pheasant tail nymp. There will be plenty of time before the "competitive" (I use that term about as loosely as possible) portion of the evening begins.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM

Very cool. I can't tie a fly to save my life but I know some of you guys here are the real deal. Should be a good competition.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:35 PM

This should be a good time. A good chance to see some good tiers in action and donate to a good cause!! Has a time been set for it yet?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Fliegenbinder

Rulz, they gots rules!

From an IFF page:
The tie off is held on Saturday afternoon. This will pit each day’s winner with a different box of materials to determine the 2014 Fly Fishing Fair Iron Fly winner.

Rules for the IRON FLY:
1.Time will be limited to 10 minutes.
2.The contest starts at noon each day.
3.Three (or more) tiers per day will compete.
4.The daily winners will compete in the tie off finally on Saturday afternoon.
5.Each tier will design their own fly.
6.They must use each of the materials supplied in their designed fly.
7.The FTG will supply the material each day.
8.Materials will change daily.
9.Three Judges will be chosen daily by the FTG to judge the contest

Catching and Releasing fisherfolk for 40+yrs!

Last edited by gordo; 01-11-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM

sorry DJ.. ill get cracking on the flier. but yeah. come hang at the pasty ( we just opened a new bar next door called "the beast" which is where the Iron fly will actually be.. don't worry.. still full Pasty menu.. just more of a bar atmosphere.. IE jukebox, pool, darts. ALWAYS FREE.

so even if you don't tie.. come hang out.. shoot the **** w/ some good people and grab a bite or a drink.

should be a good time for sure!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
This should be a good time. A good chance to see some good tiers in action and donate to a good cause!! Has a time been set for it yet?
Still finalizing details on times. It'll be an afternoon/evening event. Late enough that you don't have to leave work early and early enough that you won't miss your bedtime.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Rulz, they gots rules!

From an IFF page:
The tie off is held on Saturday afternoon. This will pit each day’s winner with a different box of materials to determine the 2014 Fly Fishing Fair Iron Fly winner.

Rules for the IRON FLY:
1.Time will be limited to 10 minutes.
2.The contest starts at noon each day.
3.Three (or more) tiers per day will compete.
4.The daily winners will compete in the tie off finally on Saturday afternoon.
5.Each tier will design their own fly.
6.They must use each of the materials supplied in their designed fly.
7.The FTG will supply the material each day.
8.Materials will change daily.
9.Three Judges will be chosen daily by the FTG to judge the contest
I don't know anything about the above rules, nor will I be using them as a guideline for this event. There will be far less, if any, rules and it will be no where near as serious as what they do at the Fly Fishing Fair.