Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM

I was on oak creek when this broke out yesterday. I had a colleague in town from Montana and we got away from work for a bit in the afternoon on our way to Flagstaff. We parked at Garland's to start fishing up stream even though I fish the C & R section 90% of the time. We got on the water at 2:30 and started up river. When we were fishing we heard the loud sirens. I feel bad admitting it but we were like "what the heck is that...can't be a tornado warning" and kept fishing. I had no idea they had fire sirens. Around 5:30 pm we noticed that there was no activity on the road and had heard many sirens. I thought, oh....must be a bad accident on 89A and they closed the road.

Anyway, we were walking up the road not quite to slide rock and a fireman in a pickup stopped and said, "you guys need to get out of here...there is a fire just up the road". As we were walking back down the 89A a nice man in a clean old CJ5 asked if we wanted a ride. I said, "we'll jump on the bumper as we have wet nasty wading boots on". He "said" he was the first on the scene of the fire and "believes" it was caused by some dumb *** that started a camp fire around Banjo Bill (where I usually park) or Halfway.

I can tell you this the wind was howling sooo bad that we almost shut it down early... Instead we started throwing streamers...but I must say it was blowing at 30-40 mph at times. SOOOOOO sad....hopefully for everybody they get this thing under control. However, it isn't looking good.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
I don't disagree. Unfortunately fire is a part of the natural cycle of things and we've been preventing the natural ones for so long that they're un-naturally big and devastating. With time things will return, just maybe not in our life time.
yea mabye but this had to be some butt valve with a lighter.so it could of been prevented. we need to stop this and pass a permit law and get tough on fire
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Totally agree. Just because they may happen naturally in no way excuses some fool.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Creek Angler View Post
I feel sick about Oak Creek, for the fishery, the ecosystem, and the people that love it and call it home. Based on the latest updates, it sounds like the fire has moved up through Sterling Canyon at the headwater springs, as well as at least part of the West Fork and Pumphouse Wash. The fire looks like it could be really bad for the fishery, particularly when the ash flows dump through the rest of the stream following monsoons in another month or two. Oak Creek also happens to be the last stronghold for narrow-headed gartersnakes (which rely on fish for their diet) in the US, and this fire could be a nail in the coffin for the species in the country, not to mention a negative impact on other native riparian wildlife like common black hawks. I'm going to try to hope for the best along with the rest of the good folks on this site, but I have a feeling I may be sitting along the charred remains of the creek in a few weeks and weeping.
The narrow-headed gartersnakes are also on tonto creek.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 PM

Good point Jojakc, and the narrow-headed gartersnakes are also still hanging on in a few other streams on the Rim and in the Whites, it's just that Oak Creek was considered the last really robust population for the species, particularly with the strong dace and sucker population in the canyon and the lack of crayfish above Slide Rock. I have been helping a herpetologist at NAU conduct surveys for the snake along Oak Creek for the last few years, and I was actually leading one such survey between Midgley Bridge and Grasshopper Point yesterday when the fire started. It just makes me sad to think that this species, along with many others (including the wild browns) in the creek will really be hurt by this fire, possibly for a long time to come...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM

I work as a firefighter in a National forest. We have fire restrictions to only established campgrounds with hosts. The last 2 weekends we have been doing rounds on FS land with the sheriff deputies around dusk in the unestablished areas. People just don't give a s***. We've had at least 20 illegal fires in that time in 1 small area. They use their vehicles to try and hide their campfires. We've found campfires literally 20 yds from the fire restriction signs. You go and talk to them and they play the "ohhhh I had no idea" role, while the winds blowing gusts of embers across a canyon-BS! The forest service patrols til like 3pm because they have to be home by 5 or whatever, but for the most part people don't start fires til evening time. They need to change their hours so that they can patrol when people are actually making campfires-seams like one of the first things I would do. Not knocking the FS boots on the ground, they are amazing, extremely hard working people! Just sad and P.O.ed for Oak creek and the next place this will happen to. I was there last month and was mesemrized once again by it's beauty.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 AM

there isnt a crime in this state that causes more sadness lost memories and pure destruction than fire.if you are on the rez during a red flag in the white mountians you dont see fires because people are afraid of the rez cops.Arizona has to make this stop we have to make people afraid of fire IT MUST BE A VERY LARGE PUNISHMENT WE MUST MAKE AN EXAMPLE.IT NEEDS TO BE BY PERMIT AND MAKE THE PUBLIC AFRAID OF GETING CAUGHT OR WE WILL SEE THIS TIME AND TIME AGAIN TILL THERE IS NO GOOD PLACE TO FISH. PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD COME TO SEDONA FOR ITS PEACE AND BEAUTY AND THIS COULD OF BEEN PREVENTED IF PEOPLE WOULD BE AFRAID OF THE CONSEQUENCES.DAMIT ARIZONA
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 AM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
It's the flippin' "I'm gonna do what I want, no dam gubbermint is gonna tell me where I can camp or burn a fire, this is 'Merica" attitude that has become so prevalent.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly chef View Post
it's the flippin' "i'm gonna do what i want, no dam gubbermint is gonna tell me where i can camp or burn a fire, this is 'merica" attitude that has become so prevalent.
ok you go to jail for the night IT WOULD HAPPEN ON THE REZ OR A HUGE FINE
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 AM

Well, im hoping the worst predictions about what might happen to Oak Creek fishery don’t come true, but unfortunately after hearing this morning reports I’m not optimistic. And that's a dam shame...

I have said if before but I think a good start to protecting Oak Creek Canyon in the future is closing Slide Rock State Park permanently. That place is a mecca for tourons. For those of you who have no heard that expression before here is the definition below:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Touron is a derogatory term combining the words "Tourist" with "Moron" to describe any person who, while on vacation, commits an act of pure stupidity.