Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Packpacking Tents

So I bought a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL3 for backpacking when my wife and I backpack together. But I am looking to get a tent for just myself when going by myself to drop the weaight and volume the Jack Rabbit takes up. I want to go light. So what are your Ideas. I am leaning towards the new Big Agnes Scout UL2.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/scoutul2
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Tarptent Contrail
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM

tartptent fo sho!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
tartptent fo sho!
Not too sure about that. The BA Scout UL2 is only a few oz's heavier than the Contrail yet has far more room. Unfortunately 1 man tents are barely that. 1 man with shoulders touching each side and no gear inside. I do like a little more room and as far as any of the Tarptents go compared to the Scout UL2 the UL2 has them beat as far as weight to size to price goes. Does anyone know of any other brands that are comparable in weight to size to price ?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMandella View Post
Not too sure about that. The BA Scout UL2 is only a few oz's heavier than the Contrail yet has far more room. Unfortunately 1 man tents are barely that. 1 man with shoulders touching each side and no gear inside. I do like a little more room and as far as any of the Tarptents go compared to the Scout UL2 the UL2 has them beat as far as weight to size to price goes. Does anyone know of any other brands that are comparable in weight to size to price ?
Ah, the tent sizing dilema. I understand.

I have a Sierra designs Clip Flashlight which is supposed to be a two person, but there is no way I would share it with someone I wasn't VERY intimate with.

I got it for the same reason as you. I wanted more room than a 1 person tent. At the time it was one of the lightest in that class, but I can see that now it's a brick compared to the big agness tent.

If you want truly light and open then maybe consider just a silnylon tarp.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
will work for trout

i have the fly creek ul3 from big agnes for my wife and i. if i were looking to go solo i woulda bought the ul2. amazingly light and the ul2 has plenty of room for 1 plus gear. 2lb 2oz or something like that
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstream View Post
i have the fly creek ul3 from big agnes for my wife and i. if i were looking to go solo i woulda bought the ul2. amazingly light and the ul2 has plenty of room for 1 plus gear. 2lb 2oz or something like that
Check out the link in my first post. The Scout has more room and is lighter.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 PM
will work for trout

i have done a couple trips in my buddies scout. the pack weight is amazing, but running a half dozen guy lines and have little to no stability in the wind took it off my list rather quickly
Old 06-17-2013, 05:27 PM

The BA UL2 is 2 pounds when you add the poles etc. I would look at tarps for sure. I made a RayWay tarp with extra room and it is WAY less than 2 pounds at 14 oz. It is also warmer/drier than a tent (and I have a very pricey Sierra Designs backpack tent as comparison). I am now so used to sleeping in a tarp that a tent feels to closed in. Another benefit is everything is dry in the morning, no dew to deal with (also the reason they are warmer)

Now lets talk quilt vs sleeping bag! Also less weight, just as warm, and far more comfortable. Again, I made a RayWay kit.

Between the quilt and tarp, I am warm, light weight, and sleep better than I ever did in a bag and tent. I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to sleeping better and more comfortably.

Last edited by azshtr; 06-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM

poler mystic tarpent.
http://vimeo.com/54334240#

http://www.polerstuff.com/collection...nt-burntorange