Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojackc View Post
Just making sure but you did notice that that price is without the poles, stakes, and without it having the seams sealed. It would be another $90 for that stuff atleast. I suppose you could use your treking pole if you use one instead. But to have it hold up you will need to buy a good one which will be well over the $30 pole they would sell you.
It makes sense selling without the pole. Many looking for that type of tent use trekking poles anyways.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM

Jojack you bring up a couple good points.

A lot of ultralite tents require seam sealing (I seam seal all my tents). The tents are constructed of Silnylon and require the appropriate sealer.

Another cool thing about the Luna Solo is literally a stick can be used as your support.
I always use my cheapo REI trekking pole but tried the stick once and it worked great. Just needs to be somewhat straight and can vary in diameter.

I also almost always replace the tent stakes that come with my tent with MSR Ground hog stakes. These wont bend.

One more thing I search online for the least expensive tent footprint I can find. ANY tent footprint will work but I find a small one man tent footprint. I stake it down and use it for either a welcome mat at my tent door or at the base of the tree I lean my fly rods against as a clean area. So I add four tent stakes to my gear list.

Also...chair kits are the bomb while out in the wilderness. I use a Big Agnes Chair kit that my sleeping pad fits into but I bought the Exped Chair Kit for my wife with high hope of keeping her comfy. The Exped is awesome since you don't have to take the pad in and out for sitting or sleeping. She likes it.

ah what else.....

If you use an ultralite back pack your frame sheet is most likely foam or plastic. I slide a plastic cutting board between the back padding and the pack. It adds some rigidity, weighs nothing and its really nice to have a clean surface to cut on.

Just blabbing......love back country blabbing. I attach a couple of delicious recipes for a cracker and a cliff bar replacement. The only problem you will find with these is you will most likely bake them a few days in advance of your trip and eat them all before you leave.

Last edited by Litespeed1; 05-24-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Good info lightspeed. I always eat all the food Megs makes for me either before I leave or on the car/plane en route to my destination. What seam sealer do you use? I made some outta silicone and thinner since tarptent told me silnylon is too "slick" for the commercially made sealers and tapes to adhere to.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Hey DJ. ha that's funny isn't it, the rest of the trip you're left with the back up top ramen meals.

I used McNett Sil-Net seam sealer.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojackc View Post
Just making sure but you did notice that that price is without the poles, stakes, and without it having the seams sealed. It would be another $90 for that stuff atleast. I suppose you could use your treking pole if you use one instead. But to have it hold up you will need to buy a good one which will be well over the $30 pole they would sell you.
I paid the $30.00 to have it seam sealed. And the Carbon Fiber Easton pole is every bit as good as any pole in any other tent you would buy. I will use my trecking pole as it is designed to be used. So for $180.00 you still get a 2lb tent. Better price than I have found for anything similar. And I hhave a dozen MSR groundhog stakes already.