Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Riggs Flat Lake This Spring

I'm planning a day trip to Riggs Flat in May ('13) to do a little float tubing and am curious if anyone has a killer pattern that's worked on holdover browns for them in the past (assuming there are some holdover browns in the lake after a fairly cold winter down here). I'm a catch-and-release guy so any secret patterns you share will not result in fish kill. I've been pretty successful with a dark wooly worm and a trailing bead-head hares ear or peacock lady in Reservation Lake and Horshoe Cienega Lake on the reservation so I thought I'd start with something like that. Also, a few years ago, I fished the beautiful Ash Canyon stream in the Pinalenos beginning at the old mill site (FT 303) and caught some small Apaches. Just a gorgeous little spot. I understand the stream is now closed to all fishing because it is serving as a Gila trout nursery. Are there any plans to open it up to catch-and release in the future? In the meantime, I'm considering Grant Creek. How far do I have to hike down FT 305 from "the top" (Swift Trail) before Grant Creek becomes fishable? Any other streams that drain the Pinalenos that are accessable and you guys might recommend?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM

It will never be catch and release -- it gets tremendous pressure from the locals. With all the trouble they have had enforcing the 1 fish limit on Frye Mesa, it would be really tough up on Riggs. They had a rough fall with bad pH so I am not even sure they stocked it. Hopefully Fish Manager (Don Mitchell - G&F) will chime in with what happened in the fall. Perhaps they got a load in before the gate was closed Nov 15. the gate cannot open before April 15. Fishing is best right after the gate opens and before they stock it when all the tailless minatures are put it there.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM

PM sent.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM

We did not get any trout stocked last year due to pH. The gate should be opening in the next couple of weeks but I've yet to hear an exact date and we've yet to get the water quality for this year so it tough to say how it did over the winter.

We did manage to get amurs stocked last summer and hopefully they will get to work on removing some of the vegetation in that lake which should help with the pH problems we've been experiencing.

Yes, Ash is closed to fishing for Gila trout recovery and we have no plans at this time of re-opening it to fishing. Frye creek on the other hand is planned to be open and we will be collecting population data this summer to begin formulating our recommendations for fishing regulations for presentation to the Commission in 2014. Contingent of course on us determining that the population can withstand fishing pressure.
dmitchell@azgfd.gov
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Thanks Don. Too bad. At least Momma is happy: that is a long 1 day trip now that all the relatives have left Safford.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM

So to make sure I understand, chances are there will be no trout in Riggs Flat Lake in May unless G & F stock before then and that's pretty iffy because of the PH problems the lake has encountered?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryAF View Post
So to make sure I understand, chances are there will be no trout in Riggs Flat Lake in May unless G & F stock before then and that's pretty iffy because of the PH problems the lake has encountered?
Not necessarily. I started a similar thread last year about this time and received similar information. I caught fish on April 22 and later in July. Here-
http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/...ad.php?t=11153
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks much. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Negative reports can be a blessing in disguise. Take the risk and go for it. Back in 1998, I caught over 100 LMBs in Horseshoe Lake after reading a report that said fishing was slow and the lake was empty. There was about 30 surface acres of water and I had the place to myself. I think I fished for about 5 hours and had a strike or fish-on every cast.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM

My last time up there when the lake was not stocked in the fall was less than stellar. We caught a lot of fish but none were longer than 3 or 4 inches. Our kids were bored to death. It was quite early in the season with lots of snow. One of the kids did not do well with my impatient driving over that rough road. Interesting trip.

However, I do remember Carl (campground host) telling us that one fall had great fishing but the G&F reports, which were outdated from the Summer, stated that fishing really stunk. Best time to go fishing: anytime you can. I wish we had a phone to Carl.

Tags
ash creek, grant creek, pinalenos, riggs