Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Found this site about a week ago and I can't resist reading it every day. so I thought I would just join in. Name is Dave. Born on a farm in 68 in Higley and now live in gilbert. My Dad and his parents are from Wilcox and my mother was born in Flag. Graduated Gilbert High in 85. Joined the Marines after, went to Gulf War I for awhile then got out and went to college. I'm now divorced... again, and have two kids I'm raising up.

I actually started tying flies when I was about 11 and bought my first fly rod when I was about 13. I bought my first tying materials at the flyshop on Mill and Baseline in the late 70's? and have been in and out of there ever since. I still do a whole lot more tying than fishing it seems like. Did nearly all my fishing on the Salt growing up. Back then you could catch some real monsters in the water near the dam back when you could get in there. It was a lot different in those days. Probably 90% of all my fly fishing growing up was for bass in the river or Sagauro Lake. Heavy rods and huge flies are still my favortie way. I've hunted, fished and hiked nearly every corner of the state.

Looking forward to meeting you all and hopefully getting on the water soon.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 PM

I have been religiously following this site for 5 months now - thought it was time to jump in the water ..My husband and I have been ffishing for 2 years now - we're hooked!! We go 'somewhere' every 3 weeks, so we've managed a lot of time-on-the-water. Not always successful, but we know the learning curve is huge. Have noone teaching us, except the great guys (Whitey and Eric) at Dry Creek Outfitters in Tucson - so I read like a sponge to learn a few more tricks of the trade. BTW - thank you for all you share, it really does help. Thanks to Dana for answering a question last week for me. As I told him, I think I have been fishing the whites since the year hawley opened - i remember it took longer for us to get from the main road, up the hill and to the lake than it took for us to get there from tucson! (we always seemed to go when it was raining and that red/clay dirt is ugly when wet). I have fished/camped at res, drift fence, hurricane (before it closed), hawley, big lake and lots of places in between, but ffishing is a whole new bag of worms. Looking forward to this new adventure.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Hey gang - Just joined last week after lurking for quite awhile, previously on AZOD. I grew up in the Valley, went to college at NAU and then went on to graduate school at UA and am now back in the Valley working. I'm 31, married to the coolest wife ever and we have 2 boys (surprise!).

I've been doing the flyfishing thing seriously only the past 4 years or so. I grew up mostly catfishing on the Verde in the Cottonwood area (grandparents lived there). I still enjoy going after the flatheads at Bartlett and putting a crappie light out at Pleasant for the white bass and stripers. My flyfishing gear is pretty much mickey mouse stuff but I catch plenty of fish with it so it works for me at the moment.

This is a great site. I always hesitated to post on other boards because it seemed a few usually dominated the conversations but I don't really see any of that here.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 PM

My name is Bruce Valley. I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area. I met my future wife about four years ago and moved out here shortly afterward.
I've fished some beautiful spots, Hat Creek, Pit River, The Truckee, Upper Sacramento and McCloud Rivers in California, Pyramid Lake in Nevada, The Klamath and Smith Rivers in Oregon and some of the most breathtaking water in and around Yellowstone. I still get up tp the Sierras to fish the Stanislaus and Walker Rivers and some of the lakes throughout Emigrant Wilderness a couple times a year.
I must admit I haven't really given enough attention to the fishing here in Arizona. I've fished Oak Creek and plan to fish Lee's Ferry before our baby arrives in January.
I fished the Salt River below Saguaro Dam last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The scenery at Water Users Park is very nice, the water is clear and cool. I saw some carp and hooked a sucker, witnessed some giant splashes the may have been bass, and missed a couple strikes that I hope were trout. Yes, there is broken glass, paper, empty cans and debris, but when you're standing in that cool water, looking up at cliffs and blue sky and all you hear is the breeze and a couple of bullfrogs talking back and forth across the river, you're a million miles away.
I hope to run into some of you at one of the local spots or on one the creeks up on the Rim. Meantime, I think I'll grab a couple garbage bags, my 5 wieght and a dozen flies find a spot below the dam for a couple hours of therapy and cleanup.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:57 PM
USMC Veteran

Send a message via MSN to el_moscador Send a message via Yahoo to el_moscador
Born in 1970, I grew up and developed my knack for fishing in a small town in Connecticut. I can remember catching my first fish at 5 years old and have been addicted since. When I was 14, my father's friend took my flyfishing with him and I caught my first brown trout from a small spring creek. That's the day this disease started....

Since that day, flyfishing has been an important part of my life.

Went to high school in Dallas, TX where I formed and was one of the 3 members of the school's Fly Fishing Club. In TX, I learned alot about bass fishing (all kinds of bass) and endured all the punishment of being a flyfisherman amongst a crowd of Texan bassfishermen back in the late 80's. One good thing about TX is that all my friends' dads had awesome bass boats.

Came to ASU in '88 and enrolled in a 5 year Masters degree course. AFter a few semesters of straight D's & F's, my old man quit paying for out of state tuition, which leads me to the USMC. Some of these duty stations were kind to my fly rod and also got me interested in the more expensive saltwater gear.

After the USMC, I returned to Tempe to finish school, found a good job to pay for the new flyfishing gear I desperately needed and ran into a bunch of good guys on discussion forums that I have been friends with ever since.

My father built a killer house on the Deschutes River in Oregon, where I have been doing alot of fishing in the past 2 years. Since I am now a husband of 10 years and a father of 3 (6 yr boy, 9 yr girl and 13 yr girl) work monstrous hours and run a few different businesses, my "fishing time" has been severely limited in the past 3-4 years. My job takes me on the road several times a month, all over the US, plus foreign countries, to some of the best fishing destinations in the country...if you make time (and pack lightly). Nothing better than an all expense paid flyfishing trip (even if it's only 4 hours of fishing)!

In the past few years, another more expensive hobby has planted it's roots in me, which is motorcycles and dune buggies. In the past 4 years, I've accumulated 11 motorcyles / buggies (that are strictly my own) and another 7 vehicles that belong to my wife and kids) and still trying to figure out the secret to raising a family and having multiple hobbies. Good thing I naturally suck at golf, so I don't have to worry about AZ greensfees and new clubs.

22 years of flyfishing and I'm still learning!!!

---------------------------------------------
"Ability is of little account without opportunity." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 07-06-2006, 07:19 AM

Andy Law, born in '52 in Massachusetts. flyfishing, collecting,fly tying for looong time. We now(my wife, 2 Cockers, and a pug cross) live in San Carlos, Mexico and I manage a large aerospace machine shop in Guaymas. Dad lives in Oro Valley and we intend to move back to Arizona relatively soon. I do some fly fishing here but it is a lonely sport-love to have some visitors who would like to go for dorado on the fly sometime.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:48 PM

I have been visiting this site for a few months now ans finally decided to join. I have only been fly fishing for a few years now and don't get out nearly often enough.

I grew up in a small town (about 2500 people) in central IL. Back then I was strictly a bait and lure caster fishing in my Grandpa's farm pond or riding my bike to the local creek when school got out.

I joined the Marine Corps right out of high school as an infantryman from 1990-1994. I moved to Phoenix when I got out and went to school taking fire science classes and working full time. After a couple of summers fighting wild land fires, I landed a full time firefighter gig in the Valley.

I am now a fire captain and married with 2 kids, 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son. I love fly fishing but don't get out as much as when I started (before we started making babies). This is a great website and I visit often getting tips and sometimes living vicariously through others stories.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Fiddler of fish

Born 75
Went to ASU
Grew up in Land of 10k lakes - They start you fishing same time they put u on skates der....b4 u can walk
I can honestly say the best people I've met in my life were through a long rod...oh ya and fishing too.
For reals a few of those people post to this site regularly
I work too much
They say the average man thinks about sex 20 times per minute, I think of fishing.
I have a special place for anyone who's motto is "Just Big Browns"
The wisest person I ever didn't meet was Harvy- Thanks Reg.
Did I say I work too much??
Well off to catch a flight to Dallas- then to MNpls and then by Friday I should
be back in AZ, but who knows just got an email says I have to go to SAN FRAN.

tight lines & creative minds will put more fish at your feet then any fancy gear.

Aaron
Old 07-27-2006, 08:02 AM

New member saying hello.

I am a native of AZ born in '82. Started fishing around the same time I learned to stand but have only been using a fly rod for the past couple of years.

Like others after high school I joined the Marines, 2000-2004.

Moved back to AZ and am currently working way more than my fishing habit would like. I've been married for just under 3 years now, no kids.

Look forward to talking and learning from the members of this great site

See you out on the water.

Josh
Old 07-27-2006, 09:40 PM

mark yearack
phx native, 41 years and counting
been fishing in az all my life. mostly trout early on, moved to bass in the 70`s
been fly fishing on and off( fighting the addiction) the last few years, would
really like to learn what I am doing with a fly rod, as I am VERY much
the rookie.
found this site through DELW via azbasszone, looks like I found a new
hangout.