Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 PM

Scott Milkovich, hence scottmilk9(9 is my fav number) Born and raised in Illinois, did very little fishing until i joined the Army, 11 years active duty, stationed in germany,oklahoma and alaska, went to gulf war I, i moved to arizona about 5 years ago from alaska, wishing to move back there someday. I spoke with many of you on other boards, got out of fly fishing for a while and realized I was dumb. I am a semi-professional shooter, work in the firearms industry and travel alot. No river better than the Kenai in alaska, so I named my black lab puppy after the river. Would like to fish more this year and meet some new friends. thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Pass the Rum, Mon

Who is I??

Guess I'll start at the begining. I was born in a log cabin in Illinois... no wait that was someone else. I was born in Maryland but was raised in Germany. My dad worked for the State Department. Anyway, always loved fishing and the water. My folks retired to Hollister, MO when I was just starting Junior High. Lived on Lake Taneycomo near Branson. Great rainbow trout lake, we had the dock and boats, unfortunately, I was still a bait dunker and lure chucker back then . Anyway, after High School I migrated to sunny Florida (can you say 18 yo drinking age) where I went to FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) and met Rusty (TRTopping). We managed to survive college and I got a job at Oregon State University in their Oceanography Department. Oregon was where I managed to get hooked on the metal mouths (still spin fishing ). Met my wife there and we (she actually after the third sea cruise where a guy got hurt pretty badly and we were out over 100 miles) decided to take a different career path. Back to school for an Engineering degree @ OSU (GO BEAVS!!!!!!!) and a career in the paper industry. Moved to Coos Bay, OR and worked for International Paper for five years. That's where the fly fishing bug bit, although just belly-boating lakes for stockers, not rivers for Steelies. The mill in OR was shut down by the Spotted Owl listing, no timber sales. So off to AZ to work for the mill here in Snowflake. I didn't know it, but Rusty was changing jobs about the same time and ended up in Phoenix in ~ Oct.?? and I show up in January. We managed to waste three years of belly-aching before going to Lee's Ferry and realizing we both were hooked on fly fishing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...mostly

Last edited by WhtMtn_FlyFisherman; 03-23-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Zero-Limit-Guy

Craig, Born (1947 now that's old) and raised in New Jersey, in the middle of dairy farms. Grew up with a fishing pole in one hand and a rifle in the other. Fished primarily the Raritan River but also a number of other small streams in the area; fishing was actually pretty good. Started an annual pilgrimage to Ontario for pike and walleyes when I was 14.

I graduated from Penn State (wrestling scholarship) in 1969 with a civil engineering degree and was headed for Alaska upon graduation, but I got drafted and wound up in the Navy ( Seabees). Guess what? The Navy sent me to Naval Station Adak (Aleutian Islands), Alaska. Fished for Dolly Varden trout in the Adak lakes and salmon in the rivers. I was discharged from the Navy when I left Adak, returned to PA to pick up my gear and I was back in Alaska in less than 30 days, Kenai.

I feel fortunate to have fished the lower Kenai River in the 1970s before the crowds showed up. I won't fish the lower river any more, the fish are there but too many people. The Kenai is one of the most prolific rivers in the world: Silvers, Reds, Kings, Pinks, Dolly Varden and Rainbows. I still like the upper river, above the Moose River but that's another story.

I spent a year in graduate school in Calgary, Alberta (I love Alberta) and got to fish a little near the mouth of the Mackenzie River for pike, near Yellowknife for Lake Trout and in mountain lakes near tree line in the rockies for Brookies. I fished a lot in the 1970s and occassionally in the 80s and 90s.

In 1993 I bought a second home in Silver City, New Mexico to beat the retirement rush. My house in NM was built in 1918 and is on the New Mexico historic register, a little brick bungalow. Since 1999 I have been commuting between NM and Alaska; I am still an Alaska resident. I spend about two weeks a month in New Mexico.

The fishing bug bit me a couple of years ago and I am predominantly fly fishing, athough I still like trolling for Kings and Silvers in the Cook Inlet, and last year I returned to fish for Lake Trout in Great Slave Lake. I am headed back there this year and taking my fly rod along; I may try to nail some lakers on streamers, also pike. I fished the San Juan R. three times in the past 4 months (end Nov, end Jan, end Feb) and was impressed with the quality of the fish. I am leanrning nymphing with #22-26 hooks and 6x and 7x leaders -- as if my eyes weren't already bad enough. In total I have fished the SJ about 7 days and haven't had a bad day yet averaging 12-24 a day; the biggest so far a 5# Bow. A stuborn 5# rainbow on a #22 hook and 6X tippet in fast water is a rush. I will probably avoid the SJ until next fall when the crowds leave. So, I am trying to figure out southwest fishing. Discovered a neighbor 2 blocks away that has a small fly shop in his home and also makes dynamite rods. He is making me a 7'-10" 3 wt (3 pc) rod from a Sage XLP blank for small creeks and rivers. I tie my own flies.

Except for salmon in Alaska, I am practicing catch and release. The 28# laker I caught in Great Slave Lake last July was about 60 years old and he went back in to swim another day.

Looking forward to doing a lot of fishing in 2006! Cheers

Last edited by Bullet50; 04-15-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:03 AM

Mike. I will turn 30 at the end of June (still trying to figure out how I feel about that). I am married, I have a crazy dog named Hershel, and we are expecting our first child.

I grew up in Pittsburgh & can't remember a time when I didn't fish. Growing up, I played a lot of hockey, and got into rock climbing, backpacking, bowhunting, & turkey hunting. My Dad got me into flyfishing when I was pretty young & I haven't looked back since.

As you can tell by my username, I went to Penn State. I have a BS in GeoEnvironmental Engineering. I stayed for 2 more years to get a masters in Mineral Processing. That was one of the best decisions of my life since I averaged about 4 days/week on Spring Creek. I married my wife when I was in grad school and we moved to Illinois when I finished (there are no trout streams in that entire state!). I worked for a mining company and traveled quite a bit, but was able to kill some nice IL whitetails.

After a few years there, I returned to Pittsburgh & got an MBA from Carnegie Mellon. I did my best to convert a few of the business school types into rednecks - I think I planted the seed in a few of them.

Moved to Phoenix last July and have been getting used to AZ. I did a bit of quail hunting in the fall & am finally getting back to fishing on a regular basis.

Since my wife is expecting our first child, I am doing my best to find all of the best places to take the little guy (I'm assuming it's a boy) once he's old enough. I love the Mogollon Rim and can't wait to check out the White Mountains.

In any case, I love to hunt, fish, and drink good beer. I think I'm in good company here.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Who I'm I, well I fish every weekend form March till November and I do mean everyweek and I haven't missed a weekend for over 28 years, maybe some but I would say 99.3% of the weekend time is on the water. The only way to get to really know me is to fish with me and my history is filled with stories of fly fishing the southwest and have met lots of caster and tyers. I have worked my *** off to do what "I LOVE" and life is "GOOD". I wait for the moment to get on the water and create the art that is needed to catch trout and the little bugs they love. So come up during the premium time and find me and fish with me, call early I gone by Friday at 3:00pm and don't come home till Sunday at 6:00pm. I get 6 weeks off during the year and guess where I'm I at, you got that right, with my best friends (TROUT)....

CHIEF

Last edited by CHIEF; 04-16-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
In dog beers, only had 1

Location: Arizona resident since January, 1985; former Missouri resident - b&r.
Michael Lee Stewart - (a.k.a. Michael Damn Stewart) born and raised in St. Louis Missouri, moved to AZ in January of 1985. Single for about 50 years, but recently reeled in
(July 2001) and now happily engaged to the love of my life, Jan. I am employed by the great State of Arizona (mainframe programmer analyst).
My dad helped me learn about hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping ever since I could walk. He also helped learn to respect nature.
I am an Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow (Brotherhood) with two 50-miler awards from Philmont.
Fished, canoed, hiked, and hunted from southern Illinois to the Quetico Provencial Park as well as the Winnipeg River and Sioux Lookout.
And now Arizona. God, I love this land! Hope to bump into you out there some where. Will keep and extra cold one handy. Happy Trails!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM

hi, i'm rxdan....brand new to this site and been flyfishing about 2 years....and yes it is addictive...i'm probably the oldest guy in the group...born 1945 in so.cal.....long story short....my dad was head of wardrobe for universal studios so i met lots of famous people growing up....went into the navy in 1966 for 4 years...vietnam stuff...found out that you really can be sea sick the whole time...met my wife on a blind date about 1967, married in 1968 and we're still going strong....six sons from 23 to 33 yo....graduated from univ.of the pacific sch of pharmacy in 1974...moved to gilbert,az in 1977 (population about 3,000 then). wife teaches 4th grade..for 17 more days then shes retired...she loves to camp and will take off with the lab retrivers with or with out me if i'm working....i've got a few medical problems, BUT i'm still trying to get out fish'in as much as i can....started tying about 2 years ago...just bought a pontoon boat and am headed to big lake this weekend to give it a try....going to colorado in july (been last 2 summers)...still trying to learn how to mend for drag free drift...etc....looking forward to talking to you all as time goes by.......rxdan
Old 05-12-2006, 11:04 AM

Joshua Smith, many of you know me from the AZSJ board or AZOD (sumptinfishy) Since I started tying my own flies I'm getting more into fly fishing than ever before. I'm 29, married, no kids. Currently a student at ASU majoring in Conservation Biology. I am a US Army veteran, paratrooper, military police. I spent almost eight years in and I miss the lifestyle still despite having been out for three years now. I am hoping that my experience paired with a CS degree will land me a sweet job with Game and Fish. I love to fish and bird hunt.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:19 AM

jrod

well i am born and raised in az been fly fishing since i was 10 i have fished everywhere from az to ak to canada. im still only 20 but i can double haul with the best so watch out old timers haha. i do hvac not fun but it will do untill i go back to alaska i used to be a big member in azod before that went to crap 3 brothers no wife thank god 2 of my bros are going to be cops so im the black sheep
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM

Im Devin. Im a 4th generation Arizonan, although work has taken me to east central NV in the past year. Born and raised in Mesa, went to Westwood. Grew up in the outdoors, mostly dove and quail hunting. Did some bait chucking at the rim lakes as a kid, fly fished for the first time in '98 while living in England. Knew a guy from church who guided on the weekends and took a few guys out to a stocked pond and put fly rods in our hands. I enjoyed it but didnt start out myself about a year and a half ago. I like tying flies, though Im not very good. I do get down to AZ quite a bit still and hope to do some fishing while Im down there.