Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Is it only me or is Homepage down?

This is what I am getting each time I try to go to Azflyandtie homepage (Azflyandtie.com) , I get in by going directly to forum but I have seen this error for several weeks now.
Who is the site admin?

http://www.azflyandtie.com/photopost...page_error.jpg

Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 AM
Always Improving

Site Admin is/was Dana Parmalee. I've also noticed the difficulty in trying to access the main page for several weeks. I've sent several DM's to him in this same time frame, wondering if the website is near its end or if there are other issue(s) with the site. As yet, nothing in return.

Further, last winter I desired to host a fly swap and sought permission from Admin to conduct it, however no return was ever offered either by in the post or DM.

If one was to look further down the main page, you will also see all of the links to other websites are now missing.

So, to get my fix on Arizona Trout Fishing, I am using the Facebook Arizona Fly Fishing page. Lots of our members over there now.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the response. I too have been wondering if this website is entering into a coma! I have Dana P as a friend on facebook although I don't like going there that much even though lots of family and friends do cause everyone but my wife and I have smartphones and constantly posting stuff. I just have stupid phones w/ texting only. Anyway I miss the fly-swaps and even the weekly fly-tying contests we used to do years ago. Because of those old times I haven't tied a fly in over a year, which is about the last time I got out to do some fly fishing as well. I am determined to get out some this fall/winter.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Always Improving

I forgot about the weekly fly tying contests, those looked like they were lots of fun! My skills weren't up to that level of challenge as I had just started tying. But I sure wouldn't mind doing them now.

FB is getting pretty rough anymore and my online friends keep getting fewer and fewer due to the political furor and loss of tolerance between issues.

Go tie some flies, one never knows who might be in need of them.

And most definitely, if you have the means and time, get your fly rod back out there. The Tiger's are growing in Willow Springs and their aggressiveness is mind blowing. I'm told there are much bigger Tiger's in Becker, but WS is mere minutes from our home, which equates into more fishing/catching time!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:24 AM

I got a Facebook message out to Dana and he replied back saying its been years since he done anything with this forum, but it doesn't seam that long ago? I also visited on Facebook, the group, Arizona Fly Fishing and actually tried to join, but not sure now as they have answer some questions like will you talk of anything but fly-fishing? Or what does #keepitwet mean to you? or something like that. plus they like are ready to suspend your access to the discussions if you even mention spin cast fishing?? I mean I love fly-fishing and is what I would prefer to do, but at times when my wife, and grandkids are along I have to help them with conventional bait fishing. Anyway a tight lines to ya and I do hope to get back into tying flies. By the way I'm not very good at tying flies ether, but doing the swaps was fun and a real learning experience.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Curtis Loew

Maybe Dana will be willing to pass the reigns on to someone who has the time to take care of the forum. I know it's not an easy job and can be time consuming.

Must admit I have not been active on the forum my self. Had shoulder surgery several years back and had to put the fly rods away for a while. Keep telling myself it's time to get back into it on a regular basis when time permits.

Like several of us "old timers" I do miss the occasional get togethers we used to have.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:44 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
I also visited on Facebook, the group, Arizona Fly Fishing and actually tried to join, but not sure now as they have answer some questions like will you talk of anything but fly-fishing? Or what does #keepitwet mean to you? or something like that.
Yup, I saw that as well when I joined not that long ago. Just as with many fly fishing sites, there are purists who believe only swinging the long rod is the sole method of catching fish, and then there is everyone else. Most on the FB site are "everyone else" and occasionally someone does put up a spinning thread, explaining they were with their littles. No-one seemed to get their feathers ruffled and all is good.

Reference the question on discussing nothing outside of fly fishing infers that I will not bring up past motorcycle rides anywhere across this great country. Unless of course I include a fly fishing destination and only refer to the bike trip as a means to get there. The group admin(s) wanted to keep it solely on fly fishing, and not cater to the other bait/spin fishers out there. It think it's just a way to filter out those who have no idea what we do with the long rod, keeping it centered on what we do and we do it.

#keepitwet, no idea. Perhaps it's an Instagram hashtag to reach lots of similar minded folks? I ignored it and signed up anyway, glad I did. The level of information can be pretty inclusive, almost as good as this website.

There is a pending fly tying get-together in the very near future. This will be a social event in and of itself, allowing many tyers to get together to tie, eat, drink, and share all of those "truthful" experiences we all tend to have. We haven't heard any dates as yet, but most of those who signaled their intent to show up requested a midweek evening. Practice practice practice is the way to strengthen those tying skills! I have quite a few links to fly tying videos, tutorials and pics, which helps me learn a new pattern.

Later,

Last edited by david vaughn; 08-01-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57 View Post
Maybe Dana will be willing to pass the reigns on to someone who has the time to take care of the forum. I know it's not an easy job and can be time consuming.

Must admit I have not been active on the forum my self. Had shoulder surgery several years back and had to put the fly rods away for a while. Keep telling myself it's time to get back into it on a regular basis when time permits.

Like several of us "old timers" I do miss the occasional get togethers we used to have.

I agree it would be nice if someone was given the reigns, as the value to this forum/website in incalculable. I have the time and means, but not the savvy in which to run a website.

Nothing like the present time to dust off those long rods and get back out there. Plus, the rehab benefits of swinging the fly rod can and will pay you back in dividends for the repeated muscle memory repetitions. If nothing else, go to a local community pond or canal and swing for a little bit each week. You'd be surprised how energized that can be. Speaking from experience, even 30 minutes a week suppressed a lot of my PTSD.

As mentioned in a previous comment with Tim, Facebook has a closed group named Arizona Fly Fishing. While the level of information isn't near what we have/had here, it still has valuable information from its members. Such as a pending fly tying get together in the near future. No date or location has been set, but those who stated a desire to show up have requested a midweek session for tyers to get together and do what we enjoy. You might want to consider joining the group and showing up to that tying session.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Well what seems weeks I finally came in using one of my old cached pages. It seems like everything other than the home page is working. It is ashamed to not see many new posts but I do use the site to research and look back at old posts. It is handy that way. As far as tigers go, I waiting for all the summer crowds to be back in school and working. I will then make some midweek trips with my tube to WS & WC.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:55 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by invasionqt View Post
As far as tigers go, I waiting for all the summer crowds to be back in school and working. I will then make some midweek trips with my tube to WS & WC.
My sentiments exactly!

I truly anticipate the departure of Labor Day, as this marks the real beginning of trout fishing on top of the Rim. Most fishing days have been set aside for hunts, and the local waters open up tremendously. Fish are much happier with the cooling waters, couple that with lower fishing pressure them dar fishies are much more eager to pounce on my flies.

The latest I've spent on the Rim water in my float tube is the day before Christmas (last year) so long as the roads are open and ice hasn't taken over the coves and/or main body of water.

I'm hoping for yet another banner late fall fishing experience this season...