Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

I seem to recall Jimmy Buffett was part of that clan too. Not sure.

I really enjoyed the Hawkline Monster and In Watermellon Sugar also by Brautigan, but his most classic work was a piece from Trout Fishing In America titled "The Cleveland Wrecking Yard" where anyone could go in a buy their own trout stream. Kinda like some rich folks are trying to do in Montana now. And Brautigan wrote it over 40 years ago. The link below will take you to a copy of it;

http://www.stpetershigh.org.uk/DEPAR...t_Fishing.html
Old 06-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Very cool, thanks.

I recall one passage from "Confederate General" where the narrator was going crazy with nightly frog sounds from his pond, on a mission to shut them up, finally stocked the pond with an alligator..heavenly silence.

He might have been married to Jimmy Buffet's sister, or one of them was.

p.s. Brautigan's daughter, Ianthe Brautigan, wrote a book about their relationship and his biography, ""You Can't Catch Death." McGuane, Harrison et al were mentioned in passing - a sad, but interesting book.

Last edited by aztightlines; 06-09-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 PM

The Brautigan book I picked up was a compilation of Trout Fishing in America, In Watermelon Sugar and the poetry of The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster.

This is the title poem:

When you take your pill
it's like a mine disaster
I think of all the people
lost inside of you.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I also highly reccommend "The River Why", love the beginning when he describes the relationship of his father/mother flyfisherman/bait fisherman --classic
...one of the best books ever written. permanently installed on my nightstand.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM

This book doesn't have much to do with fishing, but tells a great story about growing up in the area around Cody, Wyoming. I highly recommend it.

Mark Sprague
"Where Rivers Change Directions"
Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneflynut View Post

James R. Babb is the fishing editor for Gray’s Sporting Journal. His book, River Music, is sublime; one of my favorite reads.
Babb also wrote (co-wrote??) Crosscurrents. Tells a lot about old bamboo rods, fishing small rivers in the Smokies, etc.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztightlines View Post
Brautigan hung out with McGuane, Harrison and painter/author Russell Chatham in Montana, his daughter wrote a biography after he died. Thought her name was Amy , but cannot find my copy anywhere and a quick Google search revealed little about that book. Guess Brautigan fought serious depression his entire life, finally succombed, a sad story, but he was a brilliant author, we loved him in the sixties. "Confederate General from Big Sur" comes to mind, will have to reread that someday.

A recommendation: "Just Before Dark," a collection of Jim Harrison short stories, essays, poems. All of those mentioned were, or are great writers and their fishing stuff is spectacular.

Got to see a bootleg copy of a film, probaly 70's vintage, of a thing called "Tarpon," underwritten by their French count friend, Guy del Valdine (sp?), set in the keys - featured, McGuane, Chatham, Harrison, Richard Brautigan in their thirties. They halffheartedly tried to sell it and got jacked around so much they forgot about it, would be cool if somebody issued it for release - great shots of tarpon inhaling flies and interesting conversations with allthose guysd, and some famous (at the time) Keys guides.
Looks like you got your wish, Tarpon out on DVD: http://www.thebookmailer.com/
I just might have to spring for a copy. Less than a tank of gas!

I can't recall which high-school English teacher turned me on to Trout Fishing in America, but I remember being blown away.

New Gierach, Fools Paradise, is out.

I enjoyed Pale Morning Done. It ain't The Great American Novel, but it's a good read.

I need to pick up some Jim Harrison. I keep hearing how good he is.

Last edited by aztip; 06-13-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:29 PM

Oh man, "Tarpon" available on DVD- you made my day.

I will have to purchase that for sure. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

There is an abundance of quality literature surrounding the sport/lifestyle of fly-fishing. It's nice knowing many of the AZFAT members are interested in spending time with authors capable of sharing those special times we spend on waters. Cheers to the next good novel, fat trout, or campfire shared with friends.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Haig Brown

What is Haig Brown's best book?

I also would STRONGLY suggest a book called "The Run to Gitche Gumee" by Robert Jones. You will be pleased to say the least.....