Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM

Show Low

Going to be spending a lot of time in the Show Low area this summer and wanted to see if I can get some tips on areas to fish. Most of my fishing has been done around the Willow Springs area. I've fished the lakes and steams all around there but never explored the Whites. I've always heard Becker is good but not much about the other lakes up that way. Any tips to get me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 AM

Take a drive to Big Lake. Along the way, you will drive by a number of the WMAT lakes (permit required) and get a feel for the area.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:32 AM

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Fished Big Lake on Sat and caught a few small ones stripping a black SSL on a floating line. My graph showed them in 1 to 2 ft of water. I have been checking out REZ KID's YouTube videos and picked up a lot of great Ideas! It's really great that he puts those videos out there to help with fishing the White Mountain Lakes. Very cool techniques!! Next Trip is to Hawley Lake.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Do you want to fish from shore or from a boat? Carnero can be great trout fishing if you have a float tube or pontoon. Becker is a trophy trout lake, also, and I think most people fish from on the water, too.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:56 AM

I'm good with both the shore and a float tube. I have seen a lot of post's about Becker.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 PM

People do well on Becker from the water out in the middle and back in the southern cove. It's managed as a trophy trout fishery so there's nice sized rainbows and tiger trout in there. If it's windy out, this is a very hard lake to fish though.

Carnero is also very productive, but hard to fish from shore because it's so weedy, and it gets worse throughout the summer.

I've heard Luna, in Alpine, has been doing well lately. It can be fished from shore easily, or boat. And there's a gorgeous lake near Alpine called Hulsey that is very easy to fish because the water is super clear. Game and Fish stocks it with rainbows. You can put a float tube on it, but there's no access to drive right up to it, so you'd have to carry it down.

There's a ton of super varied opportunities up in the mountains!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 AM

Lakelady, Thank You for the tips an advice!