Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 AM

Big Bear Lake California

Going up to bigbear on the 4th of July weekend and I am pretty sure it will be a zoo but was wondering about the fishing in the area. Has anyone had any luck at the lake or the neighboring creeks in the area. What works what doesnt. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 AM

There was a article on Bear lake in the southwest fly fishing magazine a few months back. If you can get your hands on that it had some interesting information in it. I will try to find out what month it was in.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Random Guy

Dave-
A good guy to contact regarding Big Bear Lake is Keith Kern (just google him and you can get his contact information) - as he lives up there and fishes the lake regularly. BBL will be absolutely mobbed during the 4th, but if you get out early or fish late, it shouldn't be brutal. Richard Bean writes about Big Bear too http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishin..._01/index.html and you can check out the California Fly Fisher site http://www.calflyfisher.com/ to get some more information (see the bulletin board).
The fish will probably be toward the western part of the lake - a size 12 black bugger on a sinking line should do OK.
Hope this helps...
TBone
Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Founding Member.

I grew up in California and fished BBL quite a bit. Granted this was 20 some odd yrs ago, but I did well with a Type III and the various bugger leach patterns. Dark colors. Black, Black/Red, Dark Olive, etc. I would take an assortment of Simi's, buggers and leaches. Damsels can work well too. Nymphs on the larger side can be productive as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

I'll pm you a couple of my spots tonight as long as you have a high clearence vehicle you be able to catch some really nice wild rainbow and brown!