Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Iluvmyfly
private water

A recent post brings up an problem I have noticed in fly fishing and that is the increase in private water on major rivers in the united states. When in Florida I met a gentleman with an antique fly rod shop who was from England. He said now that to fish over there it costs a huge amount of money because a majority of steams have been privatized. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Founding Member.

Most private property can be fished. Most land owners have no problems in allowing access to fishermen IF YOU ASK THEM.

There was alot of PW I fished in Utah by simply asking. I always carried a trash bag and picked up trash.

I know in most places as long as you stay below the high water mark on streams and rivers you are actually on public land. But the arguments with land owners, 12 gauge rock salt loads, etc. Isnt worth it. Simply ask, you might be surprised.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
It all comes down to respect. If you ask with respect, treat their land with respect, and thank them with respect we can all maintain our access. The problem comes in when people don't either respect the landowner or their land, and this includes public land for we are all owners of a tremendous amount of land. I can't blame a farmer for being upset when somebody wrecks his fence while climbing over or leaves trash all over his land. At the risk of sounding snobbish (I know this is) most fly-fishers and bird-hunters I know ask permission and treat the owner and land with respect. By far the most abuse I have seen is by bait dunkers and others of their ilk.

Last edited by Fly Chef; 05-28-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM

I have fished private water in AZ and New Mexico quite abit over the years and enjoy it. Some is quite pricey, but not always. The X-Diamond Ranch in the Whites is pretty reasonable, $40/day last I checked, 1/2 day price as well.

Some folks have something against paying, and , though I would hate to see the fishing here become like Europe, there is a place for it here. Some special places have survived because access is controlled. If the landowner, who has made an investment and works to maintain the property can make a buck, so be it.

Clubs manage some of the water (rivers and lochs)) in Ireland, and it is not always that expensive, but other beats are quite pricey, like Donald Trump pricey, on the famous salmon/seatrout rivers.

As much as I enjoy fishing private places, I never consider the fish caught to be quite the same caliber as one caught on public water, just me perhaps, but it is kind of cheating when it comes to big fish and I will not display a photo or brag about such fish. It is fun, though to fish relatively unpressured fish, run into less rivals (maybe nobody) on the water.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
trout lovin' chef

On another thread regarding fishing a certain pond I mentioned "sneaking" in to fish. While I don't consider that the same as "poaching" I can appreciate the reasons behind closing the thread. I have, and still do, worked for Private Country Clubs and Resorts all over the country and have found that typically the reasons behind limiting access to be liability issues. Most of the Clubs and Resorts have no issue with fishing, but with flying golf balls. As with farmers if you ask them or at least access the pond unobtrusively(sp?) you will usually not have an issue. Some have had bad experiences in the past and those will generally post "no fishing" signs. If there is no sign I usually go ahead, but again, at dusk after the golfers are all done. I have no desire to be hit by a golf ball either.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztightlines View Post
I have fished private water in AZ and New Mexico quite abit over the years and enjoy it. Some is quite pricey, but not always. The X-Diamond Ranch in the Whites is pretty reasonable, $40/day last I checked, 1/2 day price as well.

Some folks have something against paying, and , though I would hate to see the fishing here become like Europe, there is a place for it here. Some special places have survived because access is controlled. If the landowner, who has made an investment and works to maintain the property can make a buck, so be it.

Clubs manage some of the water (rivers and lochs)) in Ireland, and it is not always that expensive, but other beats are quite pricey, like Donald Trump pricey, on the famous salmon/seatrout rivers.

As much as I enjoy fishing private places, I never consider the fish caught to be quite the same caliber as one caught on public water, just me perhaps, but it is kind of cheating when it comes to big fish and I will not display a photo or brag about such fish. It is fun, though to fish relatively unpressured fish, run into less rivals (maybe nobody) on the water.
Good point. And I agree.

Example.

I will state first that Denny Rickards is an incredible fisherman and knows his stuff.

However, it seems he only fishes those "Private Waters w/Monster fish" waters. He does catch HUGE fish, and many of them, I am not knocking him, but I would like to see him fish public waters, it would be interesting to see the average fish he catches.

That being said, I have alot of respect for the guy, his flies and what he has done for the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Chef View Post
On another thread regarding fishing a certain pond I mentioned "sneaking" in to fish. While I don't consider that the same as "poaching" I can appreciate the reasons behind closing the thread. I have, and still do, worked for Private Country Clubs and Resorts all over the country and have found that typically the reasons behind limiting access to be liability issues. Most of the Clubs and Resorts have no issue with fishing, but with flying golf balls. As with farmers if you ask them or at least access the pond unobtrusively(sp?) you will usually not have an issue. Some have had bad experiences in the past and those will generally post "no fishing" signs. If there is no sign I usually go ahead, but again, at dusk after the golfers are all done. I have no desire to be hit by a golf ball either.
With all due respect, "sneaking in" is trespassing.
Quote:
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This poach·ing // Audio Help /ˈpoʊtʃɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[poh-ching] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowner's permission. 2.any encroachment on another's property, rights, ideas, or the like.
It is poaching.

Last edited by fshfanatic; 05-28-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
trout lovin' chef

As I stated "if there is no sign" I fish. That is not sneaking.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Founding Member.

Please dont take my posts as a personal attack. They are in no way meant that way.

I am very passionate about the topic as my father owns close to 1500 acres of land in two states. I have personally seen what people can do to land, fences, livestock, etc. It is not pretty.

He does allow access when asked, it is the others that **** us off.

Some people think they have the right to fish/hunt/hike/whatever whenever and where ever they choose.

You are obviously NOT one of those people.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
trout lovin' chef

No worries, I understand your intentions and have no problem with the open discussion. I would never advocate accessing private, posted, land. My point was only that if the golf course/resort has not posted the pond then they generally have no issues with you fishing it. Providing that you do so outside normal golfing hours.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 PM
trout lovin' chef

BTW, does your father allow bird hunting? I'm looking for a place to shoot some quail, pheasant, ducks, and/or geese this fall.