Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM

Private Property on Rim

Was going to head up to the rim this weekend, and was wondering if there is a legal way to walk around/past (downstream) Kohl's ranch? Can I just walk along the river past the private property?

I'm just not sure of the rules in AZ and would appreciate any help! PM if appropriate.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 AM
Always Improving

You should be able to walk downstream from Kohl's, but there are a couple of other ways.

If you staying at Kohl's Ranch, go 1/4 mile upstream to the fire house on the east side of Tonto Creek.

From the fire house, walk south along the private road to Camp Tontozona (roughly 1 mile). Once at the Camp Tontozona gate, turn right and follow the creek access trail.

Another way would be to bypass Kohl's Ranch on Hwy 260, turning south onto the main Camp Tontozona access road, perhaps another half to 3/4 mile past KR. I can't recall the parking availability near the camp, but if you can, park near the gate entrance.

You will most likely have to cross the property to get to Tonto Creek, but just follow the directions of all signage in the area. Perhaps a phone call to the ASU Athletic Dept to get verbal/written permission to cross the property for creek access might be the way to go??

In my opinion, this is the start of the better fishing anyway, with many good pools and riffles to toss flies, as you continue downstream.

As there are browns in Horton and Christopher Creeks, one has been known to pick up the stray brownie near the confluence of the Christopher/Tonto Creeks.

Enjoy your trip.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Careful with the Camp Tontozona access. I got chased off as they don't like people down there much. I have great luck upstream of Kohls yet down stream of the camping areas so basically under the 260 highway.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:00 PM

They do no own the creek at all if they yell at you tell em to fly a kite.

Last edited by jrdorvis; 04-25-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
Careful with the Camp Tontozona access. I got chased off as they don't like people down there much. I have great luck upstream of Kohls yet down stream of the camping areas so basically under the 260 highway.

My experience as well! You can't cross private property to gain access to public water.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 PM

How about walking down-stream along Christopher Creek? Is it boardered by private property too? Is it walkable to where it and Tonto Creeks come together?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 PM

If you are in the creek that is not private property
Old 04-25-2014, 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Still not sure where I'll end up just yet, but wanted to have this in my back pocket just in case.

I'll be sure to post a report next week. Cheers.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Technically Tonto creek is not navigable water, therefore private property lines that include the stream are private property. Thems the rules, but it's up to the individual to follow them. I do pay attention to areas that are properly posted though. If I don't see signs, then how am I to know if I'm trespassing...
Old 04-26-2014, 06:18 PM

My friend and went to Camp T in November. We were advised by friends to stop at the caretaker's house and ask if we could fly fish the creek. They gave us permission, and we parked right in front of their building and walked down to the water.