Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Colorado River News

Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 PM

Is this the same HFE that we have seen for the last several years, reaching flow rates of 35,000 to 45,000 CFS? If it is the joke is clearly on us. Remember the petition we all signed supporting the study by the local G&F guys that called for an end to these HFE's in the fall and moving them back to the spring, where they did actually NATURALLY OCCUR. As Litespeed states, there never were (other than a freak, abnormal, very rare exception) any naturally occurring high flows in the fall. These fall HFE's totally destroy the entire ecosystem of the river by destroying the bug life, which is the foundation of the entire food chain. Lees Ferry has always been an up and down fishery for decades, largely due to weird flow regimes that regularly messed it up. But if you compare the fishing and the size/quality of the fish at the Ferry prior to the beginning of these HFE's done in the fall since 2012 to what the Ferry is now you would see a far superior fishery back then. These fall HFE's are a huge crock and it appears that the bureaucrats request for our input now appears to also be a crock. I don't know what we, as fishers, can or must do to force some semblance of common sense with regard to the management of the Lees Ferry fishery, but what we've done prior clearly is not working. I do 100% believe that as long as these HFE's occur in the fall, the Ferry will never improve as a fishery and will never regain anything even close to it's glory years of trout up to 15 pounds that were caught 35-40 years ago. Maybe you're right Litespeed, maybe it's really about wiping out the trout (non-native) from Lees Ferry in order to promote natives further down river. In summary, what a crock. The joke is definitely on all of us.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 PM

Also, as for the question of fishing after these HFE's, I've never fished it then but all the reports from Lees Ferry Anglers fishing reports have always stated that the fishing can be super good because these high flows really stir up the food base and get the fish stirred up with it. However, I don't believe that the entire ecosystem can continue to super stressed like the fall HFE's do and continue to provide "hot fishing", even after such an event. Hopefully, any of you that make it up there after the HFE can post a report here for the rest of us. I will just add that I spent about a day an a half there early in Oct and the fishing was really slow for me and everyone I talked to, even the guides. I spent a reasonable amount of time just cruising the bars where I've always seen fish and saw almost none so something is already messing with the fish, causing them to stay in the deepest lies. So, even if the fishing gets hot after this next HFE, it won't last and I believe continuing this current policy of artificially creating UNnatural fall HFE's will continue to degrade the fishery over the longer term.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
KC swinging streamers will definitely catch all 8 fish that exist in that river / desert.
haha good. I have a new 2 wt spey rod to play with!

now i just need to tie micro intruders.

and, honestly, Im used to not catching fish anymore.

I think that is a thing we need to all start getting used to. Judging by current management, and the way we are destroying our fisheries/planet, theres going to be less and less fish moving forward.

luckily, your kids can learn their dads trade. Theres def. never going to not be a demand for cool houses!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 AM

You write the Truth, KC.
I don't want get used to it.

I want to rely on the Ferry being my "the world is crazy but at least I have the Ferry" place in my mind. If only I owned it. I would line up outhouses below the dam. Put some nutrients in the water to grow bugs and prevent people from wanting to drink it. Let an incredible, cold, clear running river be what it should. A house of TROUT.
Hmm, I'm writing like one of the crazy humans on the planet....is there a "good" crazy?

The flush is also very likely caused by the political need to move water to Calif. / AZ to water farms for the already too many humans on the planet.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:59 AM

I see that I'm late to the party as usual. Below you'll find my comments from my new Lees Ferry report. For "the powers that be" to continue to conduct these fall HFE's...we are being ignored and so is common sense.
It is so nice to come here and see all of your comments that prove to me that there are still people who see through all the BS and harbour good judgment.

There is going to be another high flow event that is going to begin on Monday, Nov 7. Many of you are aware that we are opposed to these HFE flows occurring in the fall for many reasons, mainly that flood events do not naturally occur this time of year and can have potential negative effects on the ecology of the river. Whereas, spring is the natural time of year for these flows to occur when there could be many benefits to Colorado River ecosystem. They are moving forward with another flood before they even have finished and presented a comprehensive written three-year review of the impacts of the first three sequential fall HFEs. This report was due in 2015 and remains as of this date in an unavailable draft form. Disregard the alleged benefits to the native species, backwaters and archeological sites, that is all BS, this flood is all about sediment and beaches with little regard for the ecology of the river. Yet here they go again, in this case, come **** or high water, they are going to flood the canyon again despite not knowing the results of the 3 previous High Flow Experiments. Details below.
One thing to keep in mind is that the fishing has been really good just after these floods occur and the water has gone back down to normal levels. This is because these flows move around a tremendous amount of food and the fish will be gorging during and following the HFE. The fish will relocate during and following the flows, be sure to look on the inside of bends in the river.

Last edited by T Gunn; 11-04-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27 PM

Damn it!! Pacify us with studies and promises to listen and take in account the concerns of all of us fishers, then turn right around and do what the **** they want to do anyway. I realize that the Colorado river system is more complicated than most but it's still the all to common example of gov't agencies that can't or won't make a sensible decision about our fisheries. The desire to poison Upper Haigler, the actual concerted attempt to eliminate all trout out of Bright Angle Creek, running down the north rim, which had been an awesome creek with great fishing are a couple of obvious examples of bureaucracies that are willing to set the own agenda with no regard to majority public opinion opposing it. All I can say is "Vote Trump-Drain the Swamp!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonLazerLiner View Post
Damn it!! Pacify us with studies and promises to listen and take in account the concerns of all of us fishers, then turn right around and do what the **** they want to do anyway. I realize that the Colorado river system is more complicated than most but it's still the all to common example of gov't agencies that can't or won't make a sensible decision about our fisheries. The desire to poison Upper Haigler, the actual concerted attempt to eliminate all trout out of Bright Angle Creek, running down the north rim, which had been an awesome creek with great fishing are a couple of obvious examples of bureaucracies that are willing to set the own agenda with no regard to majority public opinion opposing it. All I can say is "Vote Trump-Drain the Swamp!!!!!!!
yikes
Old 11-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonLazerLiner View Post
Maybe Donald JR will be made sec. of the interior.... Terry can take him fishing and have a chat about what that place means to all of us.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:40 AM

Finally the communist disgusting leftist marxist libtards get to go cry and deal with America kicking ***.... Again! Get rid of all the illegal aliens.. Just makes me proud to be an American.. Suck it hitlery
Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 AM

I am a professional fly fishing guide and quail hunting guide and I love rich people making money ........ Now go support a local fly shop. ..... As for the HFCs it's all good guys terry has seen that fishery go up and down so many times. And talking to him this summer he was catching some great fish with nice thick bodies . It will come
Back. Infact I'm shire the fish like the Don

Last edited by jrdorvis; 11-10-2016 at 05:50 AM.