Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Fish Story

One early spring about 10 years ago I decided to take a trip up to Dulce, NM on the Jarcarilla Apache Reservation just 1 hour east of San Juan River on NM route 64. This trip was preceded a year earlier to the same location, the lake I'm talking about is Stone Lake. The lake is the size of Sunrise Lake and the fish are brought there by truck from Alchesay National Fish Hatchery in Whiteriver, AZ. I had heard of this fabled waters matching Monster Lake in Wyoming. The first trip there was a real experience, I had been dropped off at the lake by my family and I took to the lake.
The first thing I notice was fly fisherman who were casting with floating line and just standing there withouit stripping and they just watched the indicator. I thouht this was weird but as I was fishing by another fly caster in the water, I tagged up on one fish that took me right to backing, as the reel was screaming. As this fish took about 15 minutes to land and what a brute this was, I look at the fisherman beside me and said look at this one and he said yea that one of the small ones. I took a second glance and said this is 24 inches long and he said yea, one of the small ones, this guy is crazy I thought. Little did I know what was in store for me that day. The guy next to me hooked up and said now this is a big one. That rod of his bent like a 3WT and after watching him fight this fish for over 30 minutes it seems more like a life time and as the net reached for the head, the fish filled it. What I was shown as a rainbow that was 30 inches long and now I known why he said my fish is a small one. The day was filled with big fish as this man from who knows where said lets go by the north shoreline and fish for these, we were the only ones in float tubes. The fish were big and lost plenty of flies and 3X tippet was being snapped now and then. As the day when by fast than I wanted and time to be picked up and knowing this was my last day of fishing I swore I would be back for more.
Well the year when by and spring was here again. I planned my trip to Stone Lake again but this time it was a fly fishing trip and this means "SOLO", no one to say time to go, wrist watch didn't mean a thing and Indian Time was the only important thing on my mind, Indian Time means: "Your Time as you want to define it or not". I had reached the same spot where I had fished before and thinking I would see people camping was not the case, not a soul around but me and the lake. I don't know if you camp alone all the time but this was the strangest feeling I have had and I camp alone all the time. I don't know what it was but something about this place give me the creeps. I decide to set up camp and get a fire going and I always bring up juniper wood from the White Mountians, just love the smell on this wood and the clean fire it emits in the night and sometimes you can stoke it and send embers into the night skies.
As I started to cook my steak for the night and as daylight slowly lost its soul to the night I started to feel like "one lonely *******", I got the fire very big and just played a FM station from Colorado somewhere and then the fire beckens you to dance, feeling obilgated to the fire as it gave me warmth in the cool early spring night. I danced for the fire and gave a howl now and then in to the night, with my dance over I sat down and looked in the fire seeking some anwsers to our association with this world, I looked beyond the fires light at the edge of the bushes I could see eyes looking back at me, this is why I was feeling weird. I looked closer to make the connection with whatever it was, my hand was on my S&W but I began to get a image of what was looking at me, it was coyote and being NAVAJO this means bad luck. I said to myself this was not bad luck and because as I was dancing around the fire and said to myself it would be nice to have someone to talk to and this was the answer.
I took my steak bone and threw it by the out skirts of the fire and it came out from the bushes. Well as I took this to be a good sign and begin to talk with this creature on the night, it just sat down and began to crunch on the bone, I turned down the music and just watched him eat and we both over time time felt at ease because he stayed and I was not going anywhere, the night got colder and with extra blankets over me I almost fell asleep. I started to howl in a real low voice and the coyote sit up and started to howl just as low, I took my tone up just a bit and he did the same as we both got louder and louder the night begin to fill with his friends in the near distance and getting closer it seems. I got up and the coyote got up as well and with this he started to walk away but looked at me one more time before losing him to the dark, we locked eyes one more time. I have never told this story to anyone before.

To be continued "the next day".......

CHIEF

Last edited by CHIEF; 03-21-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Nymphmaster P

Awesome story Chief, thanks for sharing with us! Camping solo can be kind of freaky especially for us city boys, me, not you!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 AM

Very interesting Chief. I think you fed a bone and sang songs with a Navajo "Skin Walker"? Sounds like a good one for Ripley's...
Old 03-21-2006, 03:32 PM

Great story Chief.

I like to camp alone and like you sometimes tune in the radio to stave off the screaming willies.

Partying with the 'yotes - how is that for your hozho?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Part II (the next day)
Well after the night, which was filled with wild dreams of voices in the night. I had a hard time of even going outside to even peeee, the night was totally black, no moon, no fire, and no flash light, misplace keys what a mess. I put the S&W by my side and took the bullet out, thought I might shoot someone or shoot out a window.
Will morning came and as I looked out and behold, it snowed over 2 feet. The entire area was just white every where but the lake was still but fog covered and waiting for me. I found my keys (on floor board), started up 4Runner and put in 4H, drove to lake and put in float tube and started to fish. The morning was perfect, no wind, not cold and just by myself. I put on a wet-tip line and previous report from other fly caster who had been there the week before said Prince Nymph was killer on the north shoreline about 75-100 feet out and what a time was had, many fish in the low 20's and handfulls in mid-20's and some I never saw.
As the day wore on the fog started to lift and it was clear about 2 feet off the lake and thick enough to cut with a knife, at one time there was a boat which went by and all I saw was the bottom of boat with talking voices and they came real close and I said "ummmmmuummmmmm" like a fog horn and the boaters said who goes there, man or fish. I didn't say another thing and the boat turned around and tried to look for me but I kick away slowly but the fog evenually lifted high and the boaters said to me, there you are. I notice they were Indians and asked them are you guys local, yea was the answer, we are Jicarilla (Apaches), told them I was from the White Mountain Apache Reservation but married into and said I was Navajo and home was just south of here pass Chaco Canyon.
They asked me how long had I been here and I said I camped here and this I the first day of fishing for me. They said you camped here, I said yes, this place is not a good place to camp if your alone, we have a annual festival here and camp but only in numbers. I then asked why and they said lots of people are buried here (the old ones). They will bother you in the night and strange things will happen to you if you stay and don't camp there by that hill, just where my 4Runner tracks came down from. I said I made it one night and I will make it another night, I asked if they were camping and they said are you kidding, never said one. I invited them for lunch and asked them more about this place and they said they don't want to talk about it. After lunch they said goodbye and left.
I went back to fish some more and being brave I said out loud bring it on, well the afternoon went by fast and here comes the evening. I thought to myself it would be nice to have good hot dinner and shower (back on my mind was saying get the **** out of here), the town of Dulce was just 30 miles away and what did I do?

to be continued Part III (the big decision)

CHIEF
Old 03-21-2006, 06:41 PM

Hoooooo Doggies!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:33 PM

... and like the evening fog upon the lake, the plot thickens.

I can't hardly wait til the part about the Boogie Man.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 AM

and I thought part I was good....keep it coming
Old 03-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Importer/Exporter

You're scarin' me Chief !!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
You're scarin' me Chief !!
Not near as bad as your new avatar.

JK/LOL, that's a hilarious picture!

I really like that fur hat... almost makes me want to buy one. Almost.