Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Don't eat the fish

Also, while visiting Kinnicknick Lake et al, I saw signs warning not to eat certain fish.

I don't keep fish. What's up with this? Do these fish have high levels of bad stuff?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to WH Daily
Don't eat the fish

Many lakes in Arizona have a substantual anount of Mercury which I understand is transferred to the fish. Thus the "do not consume" warning. G&F Has a listing of all the lakes and the problem chemical.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 AM

Thanks. I assume it is something that. I don't keep fish so it's not a problem for me.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
Also, while visiting Kinnicknick Lake et al, I saw signs warning not to eat certain fish.

I don't keep fish. What's up with this? Do these fish have high levels of bad stuff?
Jim, most of the lakes up by Flagstaff have higher levels of naturally occurring mercury. They are in an area that has a lot of volcanic rock. That rock also causes the lakes to be off color like you asked about in another post. Also, the Rio de Flag drainage is there and that is where a lot of industrial, paper and logging waste went in the past. Not the case anymore but that stuff takes a long time to go away. They still fish well but go really early because it is always windy by around 9:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Can't be any worse than what these fast food places are feeding us
Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to WH Daily
Got that right Wooleybug. And we wonder where all the cancer comes from. Lets do some cancer research on fast food.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Old Bull,

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the information. I have a couple more questions about the lakes I visited, if you don't mind.

First, I didn't see streams into or out of any of them. I will admit I neither drove around nor walked completely around them so I may not have been in the right place to see them. If there are no streams, do these lakes get their water from ground seepage or snow melt or both?

Second, will conditions be similar in the lakes to the west of Flagstaff and the ones around Prescott? I know cloudy water in the Rim and in the White Mountain lakes is not a problem.

I'm not a snobby angler but I do prefer clear water. It's part of the fishing experience. I remember seeing crystal clear water as a very young boy when my father fished streams in southern Germany around 1946 so when I began fly fishing (1978) the clear water I fished reminded me of Germany.

Jim

Last edited by Bucksnort; 06-13-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 PM

The lakes around the Prescott area have much better clarity than the Flag area lakes. Pretty much no consistent streams going into any of them, Flag area lakes included.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM

I like clear water too but super clear running streams and lakes = less nutrients than a bit of off color. That's why fishing a cutthroat stream will make anyone feel like a superstar dry fly fisherman. There's no food in those systems and any fluffy floating thing will catch.
As a 53 year old I likely have so much mercury in me you can check the outside temperature by my face color.

I wish Barbecue Potato Chips were healthy to eat. I would live forever if they were.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Ashurst is a great Sailboarding lake after 9am.
While in college I fished a different lake on that plateau.........