Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 PM

I also missed the reply that was posted to create all this ruckus… So I won't even address that.

To the original poster, terrestrials this time of year particularly green and black foam beatles have worked excellent for me. Stealth is key as are longer leaders and long casts. Don't expect to walk up to a pool and cast to fish that you see because you will likely never see them they're so skittish. Cast to a pool from a distance and that will be your best bet. This is an excellent time of year. And by all means put all the fish back :-)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 AM

No issue with asking. PM sent.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Interesting that today I received a social media post from Game and Fish regarding a man that caught a 28 inch Brown on the creek with a Rapala. Huge fish. People were venting in the comments about how the creek should be catch and release and Game and Fishing, by posting the photo is just encouraging folks to go to the Chevelon and kill Browns. I happen to think that Rapalas with their double triple barbed hooks should be prohibited at the Chevelon. Only single hooks should be permitted.

But, of course, who the **** am I. Just your average Joe citizen with no authority...

Last edited by jchar85719; 05-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 AM

It's surprising how unhelpful I've found many of the members on this forum. I read the forum but rarely post and never ask for advice.

It's one thing to want to protect "sensititive" information. It's another to be rude and/or ridicule people who are just looking for a little helpful information. If members don't want to share helpful information perhaps it would be better to post nothing rather than be unhelpful and condescending.

It would be great to have a forum where the members shared their collective knowledge to educate each other. It's possible to do that without giving up "secrets". Isn't that the purpose of the forum in the first place, to educate?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Guys this post kind of hit home. I went to Christmas tree this past week and thanks to desert sportsman shop got some great guidance on Christmas tree. I asked if anyone had a report on Christmas tree. It was my first time going there. Been wanting to go for years and it was crickets with zero responses on the site. Now maybe someone didn't go but they certainly could lend a hand. We got to Christmas tree and it was a blast. You want to get mad at me fine I don't really care. About half the guys at xmas tree lake were great and a pleasure to meet. About half the guys were downright rude slash borderline socially incapable. I went with as good i guy I know my best friend of college for 20 years. He had a really interesting perspective. I will paraphrase / quote his thoughts: "I don't get it people like that are why it took me a while to get into flyfishing. They are elitist snobby pricks. I don't understand why you would not want to be friendly and helpful to someone that is is passionate and excited about flyfishing and then you want to be rude. It makes zero sense not wanting to help people." So I guess my takeaway is this: your all ambassadors for what flyfishing represents. Someone helped all of us. A parent a grandparent a neighbor a friend. It's a lot of help and someone caring. Don't let someone get the impression this is an elitist snobby sport. Be a good man/ woman try and help someone. That doesn't mean giving away honey holes. What it means is recognizing that the future of the sport and conservation is dependent on more people understanding and engaging and caring about flyfishing. Don't give someone the chance to feel like flyfishing isn't for them. If your not willing to help people and want to be rude or selfish quite honestly I feel sorry for you. Take a step up help people and help the sport. Even a small tip or two goes a long way to helping. You never know your small feedback could be the difference in hooking someone or not on this great sport. Be an ambassador of a great sport / hobby/ passion/ pastime.
Soapbox a bit humor me but this post rubbed me.

Last edited by wildcat97; 05-28-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 PM

I read the removed post as frustration over the fact that websites like this are monitored by the catch and kill ultra-lite spinning crowd and others. The very same trout that you catch and release are killed by them.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:29 PM

Here's the deal guys: we are on a friendly fly fishing forum and James asked a question about fly fishing in arizona. This site is about fly fishing in Arizona. Jared was in a mood and wrote words that he has since deleted, most likely because he read them later and realized he went a little overboard. He does that on occasion. I know a lot of guys who have fished with Jared and have nothing but good to say.

James, welcome to the site. Jared, settle down kiddo. You two will meet on the water one day and everything will be cool. That's what fly fishing is about.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Well said, Chadders...hope all is well man!

I do find it a bit odd that folks feel like this forum is sooo unfriendly. I got sucked into this obsession about 5 years ago (been on this forum for 3) and found this forum nothing but helpful. That's not to say there was not an individual or two that post something like the now deleted post on this thread. But I now get the reason for posts like it.

I think it is this. The longer that we are in this sport/hobby/obsession the more we have seen the stuff that breaks our hearts. The newbies (I still consider myself one 5 years in) are naive, for lack of a better word, to how fragile our streams/fish are. It's not that the people on this website are "unfriendly" (I've seen only the opposite) they just have their guard up.

Anyway, tightlines all. But let's all be sensitive of the fact that of us that care about the environment and the fish that are so near and dear there are 100 people that don't.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Fly Fishing Addict

Another tip, one that will lead to more people answering opening about specific streams, is to post questions regarding AZ waters in the "Arizona Fishing Reports" or "Honey holes" section. That way only registered forum members will see the thread, and the general internet public can not find it by doing a random search.

OP, I will send you a PM as well with some info.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:21 PM

There is this band I like. I used to watch them at little gigs here and there and it was great being able to be close in an intimate setting and feel the music. For the most part everyone at the shows respected everyone else, didn't talk over the performance and there was always good vibes.

Then one day the band had a hit that was on the radio. Now everybody knew of the band and even though they didn't understand or care how special the music was, it didn't matter to them because they just wanted to hear it over and over until the song lost all of its meaning and the next big one came along.

All of a sudden the band was playing bigger and bigger shows. One day I went to see them at a stadium venue. There was trash covering the parking lots on the way to the show and all over the stadium. The place was crowded with people shouting and talking during the entire performance and could care less about the music or how they were destroying it. They just wanted a piece of it.

I think for the most part its good people on this website. Can't say either way about others, but I have seen how certain people act. Some of us just want to be able to enjoy our favorite band once in a while and it's much more enjoyable when there isn't trash all over the place or people who don't appreciate the music.

Last edited by almostlost; 05-29-2017 at 07:25 PM.