Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Chevelon Canyon Creek in the Summer

Hi All,

Gonna get some fishing in this weekend. I want to try Chevelon Canyon Creek but am curious if all the fish will be in the lake. I just feel like fishing a stream rather than a lake. Anyone have any experience fishing Chevelon Creek in the Summer. Also what flys are hitting up there right now?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:33 PM

This is why activity on this website is so low. Anything too interesting or probing is taboo by rude, hypocritical fly-fishermen. Your hooks kill fish too jrdorvis. FYI, it looks like he has picked and adventure....and was just wondering about fly selection.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:51 PM

Totally agree with you, River. If James is going to make the trek down there, the least someone can do is suggest a few flies.

And it must be nice to have the time to 'Find Adventure for Yourself'. Reality for most of us is getting to fish 2-3 times a year, maybe for a couple of days, so we don't want to waste the time hiking down trails that may lead nowhere. You even make my point for me, correctly pointing out that there are fewer options in AZ than most other places.

James, sorry that I don't have any advice for you on Chev Creek, I have not made it down there myself. But there's a great website called Arizona Wanderings, run by one of the nice guys on this site. Try searching there, I remember seeing an article about his trip there. I know you have to be really stealthy, that's about it.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:34 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Which one of you so called "nice guys" have worked on any conservation projects lately?????
Old 05-24-2017, 04:53 PM

This is an interesting topic. I remember when I started fly fishing some years ago. I had no mentor or even buddy to help me learn but I wanted desperately to learn this art that is fly fishing. I watched YouTube videos to learn to cast and read a lot of books on tactics and techniques. And then I found this forum. It is a wealth of knowledge and there are a lot of really great anglers on here that were willing to give me some insight without saying "Go to this bend of the river, use this fly in size 14, and cast to the head of this pool." I am a little on both sides of the fence here. James, I do believe that there is a lot to be said about putting some miles on your vehicle and miles on your boots. Those special stretches of water will be that much more so because you put in the work to find them. There is no substitute for trial and error. On the flip side, it can be rather intimidating to be a new guy on here just trying to get your feet wet (pun intended), only to have a professional guide jump down your throat for asking about a creek that is NO secret. It hasn't been a secret for decades. My first post on this site was about this particular creek and I had my head bitten off for merely asking about the quality of a road leading into it. I had already done my research on what to use and how to fish the water and was only trying to learn about road conditions. Sometimes we get a little too paranoid about our beliefs of what is okay and what isn't when it comes to sharing info. I am well aware of the sensitivity of our fisheries in AZ and we should all take measures to participate in conservation programs to ensure the survival of our cold water species and the watersheds that support them. But let's try to be a little sensitive and remember what it was like when we didn't know much about a particular stretch of water either.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:23 PM

I think the unhelpful nature of many of this forum is unfortunate. I read this forum to learn. Unfortunately, many think that by helping others, they hurt themselves. I understand, but at the same time, there are ways we can be helpful and not rude. These are public areas. They are for all of us.

If you happen to think that you are going to save the Arizona environment by keeping secrets on this web site, you need a major reality check. What we need in this state is more restrictive regulations that are enforced by Game and Fish, not keeping secrets. The Chevelon, because of drought and what was for years, essentially no regulations on the stream, is a fragile fishery. Instead of telling folks to go f themselves, we should all be pushing Game and Fish to make this a catch and release only stream and to actually enforce it.

The Chevelon is also no secret. Neither are the roads that access it. It is also no secret, at least for those of us that have fished it for decades (over 40 years for me), that the quality of fishing on the stream is dramatically different now, then it was 40 years ago.

It is not for everybody. Incredibly rocky. A day on the Chevelon leaves you beat up because of the walking on rock and plowing through underbrush. Casting can be very difficult as there is little to no room on the stream to backcast. The holes barely move, so traditional drifting with the current is nearly impossibly in the areas that are often most likely to hold fish. It is a challenge to say the least.

It is true wilderness however, and well worth the hike on the stream. And, there are some real nice fish down there. The challenge is to get them up from the bottom of the pools where they will hang out in the summer. Good luck James and if you want to discuss more, feel free to message me.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 PM

People were not rude the first time the original poster asked about this same stream and received some really solid advice.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Hey Man, if you have an instagram DM me there (intothewildwego). I'll get ya some good info!

Anthony-
Old 05-24-2017, 06:56 PM

James, PM me if you want and we can talk about Chevelon. If not, good luck.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

I feel like I missed something. I appears a post was made that has since been deleted. I suppose I should give some more background information on myself.

I never really grew up fishing. Only time I would fish would be if someone else set me up with a rod and we trolled on a boat. It was maybe a couple of time and I wasn't very good. I ended up only catching a turtle once and felt really bad about it :0. That being said I have always loved being outdoors. My roommate had always fly fished and I never really took any interest in it until one day I went hiking with him along a stream he was fishing. I threw a few casts in and thought well this isn't to bad. Didn't catch anything but I liked being outdoors and fly fishing was a good excuse to get outdoors. So I went and got my first set up from Bass Pro and headed up to a hatchery stream. I was by myself and had no idea what I was doing. My roommate told me to tie on a wooly and fish with that all day. I walked down to a little pool and saw some fish hanging out by a rock. I cast to them like 200 times and they never hit on the fly. So I hiked the stream a bit did some more casts and no luck. I was heading back to the car and went by the first pool and saw the fish still in there. So I decided to make a few more casts in there. Then I felt myself get snagged on a rock so I yanked the pole a bit and to my disbelief it was a fish. The adrenalin started kicking in so hard and I was freaking out because I wasn't even remotely prepared to catch a fish. I hadn't really though about what I was suppose to do once I hooked a fish. I have no idea how but I was able to land the fish after a very disorganized reel in. Ever since then I fell in love with fly fishing. The rush when you hook a fish is so much fun.

This took place a little over a year ago I think. I have fished a dozen times or so since and love it every time (except when I bagel). I have an extremely busy work schedule that also requires me to be on call during some weekends so I am not always able to get out and explore as much as I wish. I have been to Chevy a couple times but only ever fished the lake not the creek and never been there in the summer so was just looking for some pointers as I still consider myself and extreme novice compared to the talent on this forum. It is not my intent to give away honey holes or secret spots. I found out about Chevy Lake from an AZ Central fishing report so I did not believe it was a secret spot. Also I am respectful to the fish and follow catch and release practices. Trust me there is nothing I want more than more fish to be in the stream when I or some one else is fishing.

Thank you all for the responses and tips. I will certainly send DM's to those willing to offer more advice. Hope every one has a good rest of their week and is able to explore this weekend.