Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 PM

How The Rich Fly Fish

WSJ Article. They make trout streams and trout ponds:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the...ish-1496329479

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-02-2017, 02:48 PM

If I was a trillionaire that would still not interest me.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:58 AM

I went to a fish pond as a wee lad, don't see the appeal. It's cool that they are able to afford a lazy river in their back yard but after catching one is there that sense of accomplishment?

I wonder if he can control a simulated hatch depending if he wanted to fish top water or under.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Joe and Derek, You to are spot on with your comments. I don't begrudge these folks for having the money to do these things because a lot of jobs were created or maintained building the homes and trout fisheries but as Derek said, where's the sense of accomplishment.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Or they build this. LOL. Saw it recently featured on a fly fishing film. Half adventure boat half luxury yacht. Guide from Montana quote, "you have trouble comprehending that your ride to the river each day is a helicopter".

http://www.nomads.cl
Old 06-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Sophomoric Member

With unlimited resources, I'd be totally down for this.

No, I wouldn't experience the sense of accomplishment, but I don't always fish to gain a sense of accomplishment. Sometimes I just want to be outside casting and hook some fish just to have fun, just like any other private water. Sure, I'd prefer to take the time to travel to the rivers I love (and I'm sure I still would), but if I could have a creek in my backyard to cast into, literally whenever I wanted to for just a few minutes, that would be awesome. All the better if the water conditions were always ideal.

It's not the same as fly fishing a wild stream, but if I could choose between my luxury cabin having an indoor basketball court or a stream like this, I'd take the stream easy.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM

I've fished on waters like that before. It is fun but at the same time, and only when you have time to reflect, provided you are at that stage in your life that the number of fish and the size of fish don't matter, that you realize that it wasn't normal fishing. It's special, no doubt, but it's not the same as fishing in the remote wilderness.

My 15 year old son and I are soon heading for a 5 day backpacking trip deep into the Smoky Mountains in search of wild Southern Appalachian Brook Trout. They are their own strain. Beautiful fish and beautiful wilderness. Where we are going we'll be lucky if we see just one person. The last time I went to this place I went in for 5 days solo and didn't see one person. Not one, and I had over 5 miles of pristine stream all to myself. Yes, the Eastern US does have remote areas like that, but I sure do miss Arizona.

That kind of fishing is what I'm addicted to; but, if I had the virtually unlimited financial resources, maybe I too would buy 200 acres in Montana! You know, just for fun.....
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 06-06-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLogik View Post
I've fished on waters like that before. It is fun but at the same time, and only when you have time to reflect, provided you are at that stage in your life that the number of fish and the size of fish don't matter, that you realize that it wasn't normal fishing. It's special, no doubt, but it's not the same as fishing in the remote wilderness.

My 15 year old son and I are soon heading for a 5 day backpacking trip deep into the Smoky Mountains in search of wild Southern Appalachian Brook Trout. They are their own strain. Beautiful fish and beautiful wilderness. Where we are going we'll be lucky if we see just one person. The last time I went to this place I went in for 5 days solo and didn't see one person. Not one, and I had over 5 miles of pristine stream all to myself. Yes, the Eastern US does have remote areas like that, but I sure do miss Arizona.

That kind of fishing is what I'm addicted to; but, if I had the virtually unlimited financial resources, maybe I too would buy 200 acres in Montana! You know, just for fun.....
Can I come with you guys?... Haha!
That is my kind of fishing! Sounds like a great trip. You guys have fun and be safe! And post up a trip report with some pics if you feel like it.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 AM

And speaking of a sense of accomplishment, in 2003, I was on Air Force Reserve active duty for six months in Virginia. Some office pals invited me to go on a charter fishing boat in the Chesapeake Bay. Reluctantly, I agreed.

Where is the sense of accomplishment or learning experience when you are standing on the back of a boat, probably drinking beer, maybe sea sick, watching scenery, generally not paying attention to the fishing part of the adventure and waiting for a striper to hit one of the six or so trolling rigs. It goes like this. Ok, whose turn is it to reel in the next fish? Someone toss me another beer, will you. What a boring fishing experience that was. I would rather have been on the Tappahannock River catching mountain brook trout and figuring out things for myself.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM

Location: No longer in paradise, stuck in a place where you need a lease to hunt or fish
It's as absurd as "hunting" in Texas where all animals whether native or exotic are all kept within game fences and feed from maintained food plots.