Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 PM

Planning a Steelhead On the Deschutes trip

I watch a lot fishing shows and saw one on Fly Rod Chronicles about Little Leaf Guides in Warm Springs OR.

I'm looking at booking a late Sept trip for Steelhead on the Deschutes. From what I'm learning you are fishing on the reservation side which sounds like it could be good.

One day would be a float trip and the second would be a 4x4 from location to location day. They have great reviews online and I'm looking at 1500 for 2 people 2 days of fishing.

This is my first Steelhead trip so I want to see if anyone had any info on the area, gear or cost. I started using a Trout Spey rod last year and definitely going to go that way. They recommended a 6WT spey rod.

Thanks, Tony
Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Hey Tony.

September is prime time on he d, fishing with the res guides give you a little advantage from beating the crowds, but not much ( anyone can fish the res side with the res permit) be ready to be up stupid early, fish til it's bright, then nap in the middle of the day, and fish again as the sun leaves the canyon.

6wt Spey is the way to go if you plan on swinging. No heavy tips needed on the d unless you fish below the white ( which could be blown) so a scandi head will suit you fine.. green butt skunks are really the only fly you need, but bring a variety of classics and even some leech and flash taco just incase it is off color.

The guides are worth the money on there d. They know all the productive runs, steelhead will sit in funny water on that river. And at times won't be in the classic steelhead water.

There should be a ton of fish in the system, but who knows. So far this year all of the runs have been mediocre at best, the current springer run is the worst it's been since they built he dams in the 30s

Good luck, lmk if you have any other questions.

If you want a couple options besides steelheading send me a dm.

The deschutes is absolutely amazing. Even if you don't touch a fish, the trip is worth it.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanks, as always!

I really like my Trout Spey you helped me set up. I've done well with it sight fishing for Suckers on the Salt and fished it at the Walk-In at the Ferry. Lately I've been picking up quite a few trout at the salt swinging the flies though the deeper runs.

I will definitely get with you to set up the 6wt weight I will need to buy!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 AM

steelheads

Two blonds were dragging magnets along the bottom hoping to catch some steelheads.

They did'g have to buy a license.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ161 View Post
Thanks, as always!

I really like my Trout Spey you helped me set up. I've done well with it sight fishing for Suckers on the Salt and fished it at the Walk-In at the Ferry. Lately I've been picking up quite a few trout at the salt swinging the flies though the deeper runs.

I will definitely get with you to set up the 6wt weight I will need to buy!
sounds good!

Glad you're getting into some fish!

Steel heading is a funny game.. don't plan on catching fish, but enjoy the process.. a grab a day is a good day!

if you fly into PDX hit me up!

cheers!