Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Chat

Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 PM
OLD FART

The crease flies look good.
I slip a small piece of foam into the "head" of the fly after glueing the body to the hook to help keep the front end of the fly open to push water. Josho's look like the front is open slightly wider than the eye of the hook but Todd's appear to be closed up a bit.
I was taught to position the front end of the fly even with the front end of the eye of the hook which allows you to use the hook eye to hold the foam open. Understand ?
To give you more ideas go to Dan Blanton's website and search for the Ron Dong Crease Fly.
The foam body is colored with marking pens, then a pearl mylar tube is stretched over the body, trimmed, and epoxied.
Here is a copper version I tied 2 years ago for friends going for Dorado in Mexico. It is on a tube and rigged. The foam body is 2.5" long.

Last edited by WILDWILLY; 08-06-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: OMISSION
Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM

I keep mine open too Wildwilly.... I just have never had any luck with them and mine look just like TTF's. I guess he will have to show me how it is done.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Flying Monkey

How long is that hook shank?????
I like the idea of the Mylar sheathed body. I will look it up.
I wondered if anybody would notice the missing plug.... I tie them both ways. Just like I trim some gurgler lips short and round for less "pop," I tie some Crease Flies slim and quiet.
Friday, I could not catch a fish on a plugged open mouth popping Crease Fly. Not even on a popping strip. But, The fish were taking a quiet "slipper" crease fly with gusto on a long, smooth and then halting strip. I saw a few shad wakes thet were cruising in a seemingly undistressed manner right under the surface get nailed and I changed flies and retrieve with good results.
I have a sweet selection of Crease flies tied by Gary Bulla that pop like mad, look awesome and last forever. They must be 7 years old and the epoxy is solid. closest thing to a bulletproof fly Ive ever seen.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Flying Monkey

Is that a tube fly?
And I do get what you mean by using the hook eye to prop open the mouth. Thanks for these tips. I never do that but, saw the long dong whatever guy's foam cut at an angle to meet the hook eye.

Last edited by toddthefrog; 08-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthefrog View Post
Friday, I could not catch a fish on a plugged open mouth popping Crease Fly. Not even on a popping strip. But, The fish were taking a quiet "slipper" crease fly with gusto on a long, smooth and then halting strip.

I was with him sunday and after watching him catch fish on his crease flies I switched to one of mine that has an open mouth and makes a pig pop. I still got skunked.

His closed mouth crease flies may not be traditional, but they sure as he11 work, and you can bet I'm gonna tie some up.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I was with him sunday and after watching him catch fish on his crease flies I switched to one of mine that has an open mouth and makes a pig pop. I still got skunked.

His closed mouth crease flies may not be traditional, but they sure as he11 work, and you can bet I'm gonna tie some up.
Cool...good to know I'll try that too
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Flying Monkey

Wildwilly style mouth stuffing and hook eye alignment. Thanks for the tips. Let me know if I should change proportions or anything.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 PM

Those crease flies can be awesome fishd on an intermediate one with a long leader... Ever tried it?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Flying Monkey

I fish other floating flies like that to keep them off the bottom but, never a crease fly, yet.
Thanks

Tags
blados, camel toe, crease fly