Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Lee' s Ferry walk-in

I have seen people fishing the other side of the river at the walk-in across from the big rock. Anybody know how to get down there or if it's legal to fish there?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM

The road on the other side of the river is on the Navajo Reservation which means if you do not have a permit (or of Navajo decent) to be there then you probably should not be. The road joins 89A about a mile south of the bridge. I have not been on it in a while but it is not suited for a car.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Sounds like I need to get a permit and a sink tip line and go check it out.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:47 PM

Many years ago I had the same curiosity and followed the road to the end in my 4X4. Still had to do a little slip and slide to get to the water. My nephew and I got out on an island when the flows were low in the morning but almost got caught there before we realized how fast the water level was rising with the later morning flows. So what was only a knee deep wade to get out on the island in the a.m. became a near catastrophic chest high level very quickly. So, unless you stay on the actual back, be very vigilant in monitoring the water levels. Hate to see you become a statistic.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:18 AM

I wouldn't even attempt it.

I have watched people work their way down to that little beach one slip away from being a floating body below the bridge.

The only area I would consider on that side would be to stay high on the Ferry wagon road and hike it to 1.5-2 mile riff.