Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 12:13 PM
St. Croix Rocks

On our trip to Colorado a few weeks ago, I fouled a nice rainbow in the Uncompaghre C&R below the dam. The water was pretty high and fast (or at least compared to what I'm used to), so it was like trying to haul a concrete block upstream. Tried to get out of the water and hike downstream to release the guy or at least cut the line (didn't really want to cut my fly line), but before I could do that he went over a fall, and my rod broke about a foot above the handle. Managed to bring him to shore and release him using just the line, but the damage was done.

The rod was a 9' 5 weight Legend Elite that I'd had for 12 years, so I sent it back to them with an explanation and a check to cover shipping, etc. Today I got a brand new rod and case delivered to the house.

This is the second time I've had to test their warranty program, and both times they have been fantastic. And it's a damn fine rod to boot.

Just trying to give credit where it's due.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Always nice when a company goes above and beyond to stand behind their products.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 PM
Most of my rods are Sage, with a couple of Reddingtons (now also owned by Sage if I'm correct) and have sent multiple rods in for repair/replace and have never been disappointed. They replaced the rod every time.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 AM
As a St. Croix dealer for 15 years, I can vouch for their friendliness and business ethics to independent dealers and customers, though always a distributor to big box stores. They moved into the void left by G Loomis when bought up by Shimano, in a big way, but remain makers of good fly rods.

"Midwestern nice" comes to mind...I wondered at the Fly Tackle Dealer shows why all the brass seemed to be tall, blond guys before realizing they were all family, the sons. One son would visit the shop from time to time, as he was a UA alumnus and liked to return to Tucson and Rocky Point on vacations.

I fish a 7' 3wt Imperial two-piece, one of my favorite rods, despite the $140 price tag at the time.

Good folks at St. Croix...