Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Scottsdale Fish Kill

For all you urban anglers- there's been a fish kill at the Scottsdale Greenbelt.

I noticed it (it's hard not too) at the lake north of McDowell, west of 77th St.

I can only imagine that it has affected the lakes lower in the chain as well.

The water was very dark/murky, but wasn't rust colored like you see with GA.

There's fish floating everywhere- some nice size bass, bluegill, and a carp that has to be 5' long!

Just a heads up...
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

That sucks.
That's one BIG carp

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 PM

I have noticed the same thing over the yeaars occurring when it floods. Just wondering what is getting dumped into the flooding waters. Will have to check the pond at McDowell and Miller next time up to see how far it spread. If it got all the way down here it has gone also into the east end of Tempe Town Lake.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

well if it is from flooding it could be anything... i would think run-off from the roads would produce a pretty nasty cocktail
too bad
i wonder how old a 5' carp would be

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM

I think grass carp live for about 10 yrs and grow between 25 to 40 pds. The other thing is when it get hot they go into this mode of none stop eating, or should I say graze.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Does anyone know for sure if this fishkill affected the lakes south of McDowell? I live right by these lakes and I am thinking I might start hitting some of the lakes between McDowell and McKellips, especially the two bigger lakes down next to McKellips.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Caught this at the lake that is right next to McKellips on the greenbelt, so I guess the fishes are still live'n. Lost my Pistol Pete black wooly bugger though. It was there... then it was gone. I think it got stuck in the grass behind me.

(Cell phone photo... too much sun. )

Old 10-31-2008, 07:08 PM

Had pretty good luck tonight at the same lake. Caught two bluegills (or whatever you want to call them), two small mouth bass like the one pictured, and one 7" large mouth bass. My cell phone is taking some crappy photos lately. Might need to play with the settings. Didn't get a photo of the large mouth I caught. He was a little anxious to get back in the water and didn't want his photo taken.

I caught them all on this. Bought it at Orvis recently to entice the spawning browns, but the urban fish are digging it!

The best part was while I was not paying attention to what I was doing I happened to look down in the water about three feet out from shore and I watched a 3 pound large mouth swim by! Nice... now I know they are in there! I've only caught the so-so sized ones. Now I need to catch the big lumbering pig!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

That's a cute little crappie you got there!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaz View Post
That's a cute little crappie you got there!
Is that what that is??? I used to catch the **** out of those when I was a kid in Oregon, but that was easily 25 years ago. How about that... haven't seen one in 25 years and I couldn't recognize it. They're good fighters!!