Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > Bass Outings

Old 05-14-2015, 11:39 AM

What's ridiculous about it? The fact that guys pay that much for a bait?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bull View Post
Jeez, give the guy a break. Big patterns. Desert Sportsman has some big Rainbow imitations. Big bass are tough on the fly but fun when you get them. I don't think we have any bass that big but there are some big carp and buffalo. Welcome to the board!
Big patterns for sure. I was thinking large imitation of bluegill, gizard shad, and rainbow trout. Ive caught 15-20 lb. carp on fly which is a blast by the way. The last one I caught was 18lbs. on 4 pound tippet. It took about 45 minutes of finesse fighting to not break that line. Fun! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited by Mikeskeeter; 05-15-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior63 View Post
This thread is pretty funny, the guy giving the new contributer to our site a hard time about wanting to catch big fish is talking about a 250 dollar lure! I can't think of anything more ridiculous than that. You might notice there are still bait fish in the lakes, meaning bass don't eat every single thing in sight. No matter how perfect a lure is, if the bass isn't hungry, it won't eat. If it is it will eat whatever reasonable thing you put in front of it with a good presentation. I caught a 6# out of and urban lake with a dollar Wooley bugger.

Any fish that can be caught with a lure can be caught with a fly, just have to figure out how.

Mike said he wanted to catch bass 5-15 pounds, certainly not a crazy goal for bass. If he said he wanted 15 or bigger, then maybe some room for ridicule.
Exactly, well said. I'll try some large wooley buggers too in my arsenal.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 PM

Let me know when you catch a teener on a fly. I wanna have my mind blown.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM

I've seen plenty of big bass keying in on smaller baitfish. Rhomers Diamond hair minnow is tough to beat as an all around Bass finder. 1/0 size, shad and bass color patterns.

I hope you get into a 10 or bigger fish, seriously someone will do it eventually, might as well be you...Or better yet, me!

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM

You would really like Manny Chee's website and style of fishing with huge no massive swim baits for massive bass and stripers etc.

Google Manny Chee fishing or outdoors or check it out here it is, http://www.mannycheeoutdoors.com/

Last edited by Drake Side of The Moon; 05-19-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:08 PM

IGFA fly rod tippet class world record largemouths of note include:

6-pound tippet record of 14 pounds, 2 oz. caught by John Lindsey, Jr. at Lake Meredith, Texas, on Oct. 20, 2000

8-pound tippet record of 16 pounds, 12 oz caught by Larry Kurosaki, at Castaic Lagoon, California, on Feb. 26, 2009

12-pound tippet record of 14 pounds, 8 oz. caught by Larry Kurosaki at Castaic Lagoon in California on Feb. 24, 2007

16-pound tippet record of 12 pounds, 11 oz. caught by Dennis Ditmars at Lake Dixon, Calif. on April 30, 1998.

Big fish can be caught on flies. Just saying.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 PM

Lol, those are records? I can go find carp that size and bigger with ease anywhere in the valley. Bass are cool and all, but if you want big, challenging, and hard fighting fish go find some carp and leave the bass to the guys that spend 250 on lures to catch 10 pounders.

And 16# tippet for a 12 pound fish? Why would anyone ever admit that! Just take a few photos and tell everyone you got it on 4x, especially since the 4x record is bigger!

Sorry to poke fun, but I always thought the bass craze was a little silly. They are fun fish to catch, but no more fun than anything else. Just another species to grab when you get a chance.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 PM

Agreed

[IMG][/IMG]