Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Switch Rods

Just picked up my first switch rod, a 5wt GLoomis Pro4x. I'm planning on using it at the Salt for Suckers and Bass over the summer and Lee's Ferry in late Sept for streamers. I have a trip planned to BC next spring that I'm looking forward to giving it a try. The ease and distance of casting is what got me interested, watched a ton of YouTube videos on it and it looks like a lot of fun. Still learning about all the line choices for swinging fly's and for indicator fishing. Has anyone had any experience with switch or spay rods? Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ161 View Post
Just picked up my first switch rod, a 5wt GLoomis Pro4x. I'm planning on using it at the Salt for Suckers and Bass over the summer and Lee's Ferry in late Sept for streamers. I have a trip planned to BC next spring that I'm looking forward to giving it a try. The ease and distance of casting is what got me interested, watched a ton of YouTube videos on it and it looks like a lot of fun. Still learning about all the line choices for swinging fly's and for indicator fishing. Has anyone had any experience with switch or spay rods? Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!
Welcome to your new addiction..

Pm if you need there's a few different routes you can go
Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 AM

I wish I had paid more attention to the line choices when I tried "switching". I just used a regular WF line and never did really do well with it, then was reading the Washington Fly Fishing forum and they talked about what you needed in the way of lines and regular WF was not one of them.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 AM

Thanks Lostdutchman I'll be sending you a PM. I Have a Rio switch line for nymphing and a Ambush Streamer Kit in a TT 7wt with a 4 Versileaders. I'm going to try to get out this weekend and play around with it.

Definitely a lot to learn on the lines but the casting distance and how easy they make it look is great. Not to mention being able to cast without needing the area for a back cast behind you.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:02 PM

What do you want to know? I will need more info on what you like in a line and rod. Like do you plan on using it more as a single handed rod or more like a spey rod? Do you know how to spey cast ? If so what level would you concider yourself to be at. If you can be honest with me I may be able to recommend some lines that may help in your quest.Remember switch rods can do it all single hand cast and spey cast, but do neither well. Don't get me wrong in the right hands and with the right line choose they are a hard combination to beat,I love my 5wt switch 10 feet Beulal Platinum.
Mike

Last edited by Spey Guy; 06-20-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM

Thanks, Mike

I have a rod, Gloomis Pro4x 5wt. I'll be trying it out this weekend. I'm new to switch rod's and the thing that seems the most confusing is the lines. I bought my reel from Kyle at Desert Sportsmans and he's been a big help getting me set up. The line I have to start is a Wolf Ambush TT7F 266 grains and I have 4 diff Rio verisi leaders. So that's all for throwing streamers. I did get a Rio switch line that I was told would be good for nymphing. Kyle did say he new someone that can teach the casting basics so I might look into that after I give it a try. As I understand there really is not one line does all with these rods so that's the thing I'm working on learning. Any help or tips would be great. Thank's Tony
Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 AM

Ambush General Description
A short heavy head line based on the proven triangle taper. Available with a contrasting integrated shooting line in weights 4-14 or head only in lineweights 8-14. Front welded loop included for convenient changing of leaders and tips.

Conventional Use
Fishing in tight quarters with very limited back cast room. The short heavy head facilitates quick loading and efficient turn over when using weighted flies, split shot and strike indicators. The short rear taper makes roll casting and shooting line easy and lends itself to the various single hand spey casts. The heavy head "digs" in the water surface, slowing the line speed, in the typical down and across presentation, making it ideal for swinging soft hackles or stripping streamers.

Switch use
The short head on the Ambush line makes it the ideal fly line for switch rods. Rule of thumb when selecting a line, is to use 3 line weight sizes above the rod weight. For example, a 5wt switch rod would take an 8wt Ambush line or head. A 7wt switch rod would load well with the 10wt Ambush. If you are going to primarily overhead cast with a switch rod, then go just 2 line sizes above the rod weight(7wt Ambush on a 5wt switch rod).

Scandi use
If you choose to use the Scandi or underhand style of casting, select an Ambush line 3 sizes above your rod weight. Poly leaders (all densities) work exceptionally well on Ambush lines. Total length of your poly leader should be 1 to 1.5 times the length of your rod (including tippet). Poly leaders, because of their similar taper to the Ambush line, tend to increase the overall head length of the Ambush, promoting longer turnover time and increase casting distance.

Skagit use
Skagit style lines are made to cast large flies and heavy sink tips. The Ambush line is similar to other Skagit lines in length but have a more pronounced taper (a short Triangle Taper) which softens the way they turnover (less clunky). When selecting an Ambush line for throwing big flies and sinking tips, go 4 line sizes heavier than the rod weight. For example, for a 8wt spey rod choose an 12wt line or head. A great shooting line to use behind the Ambush head is Wulff’s Tracer shooting line, which comes with an 8 inch loop for easy head changing and has a 2 foot bright orange color at the loop end, to help detect where the shooting line and head meet.

Hi Tony! Funny you should mention the Ambush line. Like you heard, with switch rods there is no one line that will do it all, but that one comes pretty close. I added some info on that line as it prertaines to using it with a switch rod. The Pro 4X from what I have read is a fast taper and can handle a Scandi head around 320 gr. and a Skagit head around 350 gr. So the Ambush line you have 266 gr. may be a little light to load that rod for spey type casting. I would use it for single hand type casting. Try using it as a double hand overhead cast if you are looking for distance if you have the back casting room. Leave about a foot more or less of running line out of the tip top. You'll have to adjust that to find the sweet spot. For spey casting you mentioned you also bought a Rio switch chucker line. If you bought that in the 5 weight that should weigh 370 gr., from what I have read. That should be more capable of loading the rod for spey casting. Being that also has a short head, you will need to add a poly leader and about 8-10 feet of leader plus tippet. Once again, you will have to find what the rod likes and adjust your length accordingly. Remember with sinking tips you will have to roll cast that line 2 or 3 times to bring the tip to the surface of the water as switch rods do not have the power that a spey rod has. Once the tip is on the top of the water perform a Snap-T cast (check it out on YouTube). This type of cast will allow you to cast a good distance with very little to no room behind you. I am not a fan of integrated lines as there are not too many really good ones out there. I prefer heads with running line type set-ups. What you have for now will have to do, and it is a pretty good choice. Spey casting is not hard, but takes a lot of practice. Try concentrating more on form and technique than distance in the beginning. The distance will come later. Good luck with trying out your new switch rod and welcome to the wonderful world of spey! Let me know how you make out this weekend, and if I can be of any further help to you, it would be my pleasure.
Mike

Last edited by Spey Guy; 07-13-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:43 AM

I have been using switch rods at the Ferry ever since they arrived on the scene. I don't use them for everything and don't find them to be a great streamer rod unless you are wading and swinging flies.

There is nothing, however, that can compare to a switch when it comes to casting a heavy nymph rig. In the higher flows of summer, I'm drifting nymphs from the boat and I often use a 14 to 16-ft leader, 2 flies, heavy shot (AB or AAA) and an indicator. Casting this rig with a normal 9-ft rod is an exercise in frustration but a switch gets it done with ease. You would be surprised how well an inexperienced fly caster can do with one of these rods.

I'm using Sage 11-ft 5 & 6-wt's. One thing of note is that the tips are soft enough to use tippets down to 6X. When it comes to mending a line, a long rod gets it done much better than a shorter rod.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the great information. I'm going to work on it and see how it goes, I think I have a good place to start.

Terry,

Thanks for the info on the Ferry, I have another trip plan for Sept with Natalie. I normally go when the summer flow is down and we have done well swinging streamers on a sink tip so it should be fun with the switch rod.