Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Blue River (White Mountains)

I see the Blue in some AZ fishing books but I've never read anything about it on this forum. Any comments?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 AM

pfeffness

ive been there. Nice small stream. Brushy. Beautiful country and some fishy tributaries to the Blue. Were some good trout in it. Dont know how it is now since fire of a few years back tho.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 AM

The fire and ensuing floods decimated much of the Blue and some tributaries. It's had a long history of being prone to floods and drought. These days it has fish in some sections. It's more of a small creek than river though.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:05 PM

The upper part holds trout when it's known as the Campbell Blue. Also a fair amount of the small tribs hold trout.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Native Trout

I read that they are planning on setting apart some of the tributaries for Gila Trout. I think they have started on one of the small tributaries according to this article.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/a...kcountry_creek

I don't know how if just that tributary has been set apart or whether work on other tributaries has begun, meaning non-native fish eradication and fish barriers. I have always wanted to just go explore the area around the Blue, but never have gotten there...
Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM

The Blue is on my list of places to explore during my White Mountains trip in May. I am not a "big river" angler like the Colorado at Lee's Ferry so places like the Blue and the Little Colorado River appeal to me.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 03-07-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorpion View Post
I read that they are planning on setting apart some of the tributaries for Gila Trout. I think they have started on one of the small tributaries according to this article.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/a...kcountry_creek

I don't know how if just that tributary has been set apart or whether work on other tributaries has begun, meaning non-native fish eradication and fish barriers. I have always wanted to just go explore the area around the Blue, but never have gotten there...
As the article states, Gilas have been put into Raspberry Creek which is identified as a Gila Trout recovery stream. It was fishless post-Wallow Fire.

There are a few others that will be a part of recovery as well. Currently, there are no removals planned for the near future.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:02 PM

FYI, Raspberry Creek is currently closed to fishing.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 PM

Hey Bucksnort, I was in there last fall and if my intentions were to catch trout I wouldn't go back...At least for a few years. If they were to see some pretty Arizona country less traveled-have at it! Plus it's not too far from the Gila wilderness in NM either.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 PM

I agree about the Blue River, it's not really a trout stream. It might hold some trout seasonally, but don't think they are reproducing in the Blue. These trout likely originate from the upper watershed tributaries, like Campbell Blue, Lanphier, Grant, KP, and others, that are wild trout streams. However, some of these had been impacted by the Wallow Fire. The Campbell Blue is probably the best of the tributaries right now. Hopefully Gila Trout can be established in some of the impacted tributaries in the near future to restore angling opportunities in this watershed.