Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 PM

Winter wader ideas?

I'm trying to think of an idea for fishing these AZ streams when the weather gets cold and my feet turn white. Something that only needs to come up waist high, maybe higher?

I'm thinking of something in the way of neoprene pants that cover your feet and fit snug like a wetsuit (basically the bottom half of a wetsuit) and a pair of duck type pants to wear over them to protect them from the brush/thorns/rocks, while trudging along.

Anyone have a setup that works for them or any ideas?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM

I would probably just pick up an inexpensive pair of waist high breathable waders and layer up under them. Some kind of pants as a protective outer layer isn't a bad idea. I've seen waist high waders on sale at Sportsmans for 100 bucks or less. On the rim I've never had a need to wade deeper than thigh level yet.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Exactly-something to just take care of thigh high water and keep my feet from freezing and turning white/blue. I put holes in 2 pairs of waders last Winter scrambling along some creeks and I was thinking a thin/snug waterproof layer, with pants over for maneuverability, and some shoes built for hiking/scrambling.

I don't know if there is something specific made for this type of thing or if it's something I'd have to put together.

Last edited by almostlost; 06-29-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Sierra Trading Post has Redington Sonic Pro wading pants for a good price. Pair those with Thorlo combat boot socks and you will stay warm. These socks are the best for cold water wading that I've found.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadders View Post
Sierra Trading Post has Redington Sonic Pro wading pants for a good price. Pair those with Thorlo combat boot socks and you will stay warm. These socks are the best for cold water wading that I've found.
That's not a bad price compared to retail. Definitely going to pick up some of those socks. The waders have a pretty good review as far as ruggedness too.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 AM

I wear the Sonic Pro Pants. Love em. Do like Chadders writes as far as socks. Then for added warmth I wear fleece wader liners.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM

I have battery powered, heated socks. They will keep you warm as long as your waders keep you dry. Wear them in Pyramid all the time and haven't got cold feet yet. Bought them at Sportsman's.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:34 PM

Throw-away hand warmers work great. When it's bitter cold I tape them to the top of my feet. The only downside is you can't regulate the heat. But, since they need oxygen to work, there's a limited amount in your foot area so they really don't over-heat. At least for me they don't.

As far as waders, yes neoprene waist highs would be a good choice. To protect them? Personally I like the duct tape suggestion! You can get really creative these days with all of the colors available. Duct tape will muck up your waders though.

If you have them, I'd suggest cutting the feet off of a pair of old hip waders and slip them over your waist highs.

One question, and it's kind of a wives tale that's actually true, do you wear a warm hat on cold days? The old saying does hold true, "Wear a hat to keep your feet warm."
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 AM

^Initially I was thinking a thin pair of neoprene, for agility and to keep dry and somewhat warm, but mostly dry, and heavy duty duck pants (like Carhart) to protect the neoprene. I would like some shoes built more for hiking as well to match with the set-up.

I do like that cut off hip wader idea. Kinda like gators.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Flying Monkey

Breathable waders help keep me warm in winter so don't worry about the extra bulk of bibs above my thighs. In the summer I daydream about knee high waders for cold water