Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Why?

Why do you fish?

I've been asking myself a lot that lately, and I can never seem to get a simple straight forward answer. It depends on the day or the trip, but its alway different.

Lets hear your ideas

"Flyfisherman are willing to work hard at anything that isn't important"
John Geirach
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 PM

Only 1% of all fishing appeals to me.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Flying Monkey

I'm thinking it's part of our DNA since cave man times which when combined with my obsessive nature, love of the outdoors and penchant for whipping things with a stick, has produced a fishing problem. Good thing I have ADD to give me a break from fishing thoughts.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Rod Builder

When I started for over 60 years ago, it was strictly for enjoyment, When I started fishing the pro bass circuit it was for the money and was just like a job.Now it is back to strictly for pleasure and enjoyment
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM

To paraphrase and borrow a famous quote:

"Its cheaper than Psychiatry..."
Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM

There are a lot layers to that question but in the most simplistic way it "dials me in". Fish or no fish I sense a greater degree of balance, peace and focus after spending time on the water. That balance/peace is at it's height after a solo trek along a small stream and least when loading my buddy's bass boat on to a trailer on a crowded ramp during a kickup of the monsoon... But either way I sense peace and loose track of time unlike any other amusement or diversion from work.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 AM

It started as a way to spend time with my dad, I learned so much from that time and gained so much insight and advice from listening to my dad and his friends talk about life. As a teenager it was my independence, taking an old blazer up to the Rim to fish alone, coming home at dark and earning my parents trust and learning how to rely on myself and enjoy absolute quiet, to develop an intimacy with a world created by Heavenly hands where time is very relative, time is very different to the creek than it is to the tree, I feel like I learned my place in the world there.

Then it became an obsession, a competition, and eventually my work. To this day I absolutely am thrilled to help people become better at tying or casting, having people come tell me adventures and fish stories or about their children or spouses who caught fish for the first time is something I miss much more than I though I would... there is an excitement there that is hard to match.

Now it's something I share with my husband, it's excitement in planning or spontaneously just throwing gear in the car, hours of talking while driving, and joy in the flash of a fish in his hand. It is where I feel most beautiful.
Sometimes I drive up unaccompanied and sneak out alone to creep between the trees and slip back into my little place in the world, to dance with the fish and sing with the birds and the stress melts away.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 AM

MeLikeFlyFish, Happy Birthday!!! I hope your day is wonderful
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLikeFlyFish-FlyFishGood View Post
There are a lot layers to that question but in the most simplistic way it "dials me in". Fish or no fish I sense a greater degree of balance, peace and focus after spending time on the water. That balance/peace is at it's height after a solo trek along a small stream and least when loading my buddy's bass boat on to a trailer on a crowded ramp during a kickup of the monsoon... But either way I sense peace and loose track of time unlike any other amusement or diversion from work.

I like this response sums it up pretty well.

Ever since I was a kid I've felt at peace walking or sitting along a mountain stream. Now that I live in the "city" I need to get back to streams to reenergize or as my wife calls it an attitude adjustment. Fishing is just great for my mind, body and soul, I just can't explain why. Being able to catch wild trout that survive extreme conditions gives me a rush.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM

I was introduced to trout fishing when I was a little boy. We took a trip from Lake Havasu where we lived to Oak Creek one summer. I remember feeling like I was in this amazing make believe environment so different from Havasu. There I was in this place, velveeta cheese in my pocket, a gold salmon egg hook on my line catching these amazingly beautiful creatures out of a creek. Its why I love fishing moving water for trout. And I agree with the mental effect for it "centers" me. Simplifies my thoughts. And now to share it with family and friends makes the experience way more than just catching fish. Stealing away a morning on the water while my family sleeps in a tent is so invigorating. I like that fly fishing is a part of me.