Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 PM

Umpqua EZ Meal caterpillar

Umpqua EZ meal caterpillar fly. Fishing a small creek in NW AZ, tried all my usually productive flies without a bite so thought I'd try this "caterpillar". Hits on about every 2-3 casts - caught the same one 3 times. Caught and released about a dozen or so in less than an hour with some pretty agressive takes. A week later, fishing on Clear Creek N. of Golden CO. Tried 3 fly rigs that the local fly shop recommended (no takes at all but I'm used to the AZ creeks - much different than those "rivers" in CO). Came to a more familiar part of the stream near Idaho Springs and worked it for awhile without success. A few guys with a guide came by and pointed to an area in the stream where he said there was a nice 20" brownie and they'd tried everything in the box. I tied on an EZ meal cat and caught the monster in about the 5th cast. Love this caterpillar - almost as much as the bows and browns do!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:11 PM

Got pics?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 PM

I quickly found it with a search: Umpqua EZ meal caterpillar
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM

How about pics of the brown??? 😀
Old 07-30-2018, 03:48 PM

I tied some tent caterpillars for a tying contest in south east fly tiers several years ago but never really tried fishing them, but it is the season for them as I have seen them starting to form up in some trees. this is what mine looked like, though a bit bigger and has 2 hooks. I have them sitting on a blade of grass.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:08 AM

I've caught several fish on the EZ Meal. The gentlemen that created this fly lives in Surprise, AZ. He also teaches fly tying on the first Tuesday of each month at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Avondale, AZ. Great guy and good friend!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Sorry, couldn't get a pic of it. It was a big brown, at least 20". I guess I need to practice holding a fish in a net and holding a camera (phone) with the other hand and trying to hit the button all at the same time. Apperantly taking fish pics isn't my strong point.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:32 PM

I was looking at that bug the other day, and wondered how many caterpillars end up in the water vs the fly working as some sort of attractor pattern.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:31 PM

I've shown the '"EZ Meal"s to a few flyfishers and most all say the same thing - something in the way of 'never heard of a trout eating a caterpiller'. I'm not sure what trout see underwater but they seem to like caterpillers, at least the EZ Meal version of one.