Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM

AZ boy does well

From ZGTU:

Oliver Sheridan, 13, of Casa Grande completed both the Arizona Trout Challenge (see more information below), and the Western Native Trout Challenge. Oliver was the first to complete this challenge under age 18, and Orvis Company rewarded him with a new Helios H3 rod. Here is Oliver's description of his trout quest.

"This last summer my grandpa and dad planned a trip to Montana and Wyoming to go backpacking and fishing in the wilderness. As things were coming together the Western Native Trout Initiative was coming out with a challenge that included 12 Western states and 23 species of trout. My dad started looking into the challenge and he felt it made perfect sense for us to sign up and try to accomplish this together. The way the challenge is set up there are 3 different levels. The 1st level requires you to catch 6 wild native species in at least 4 states. Level 2 is 12 species in 8 states, and the last or 3rd level is 18 species in 12 states.

My dad and I have both completed the 1st level which gave us a certificate and hat BUT because I was the 1st person under the age of 18 in the country to complete it Orvis gifted me a Helios H3! The memories that we have made will last a lifetime as we've traveled to Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, and of course northeastern Arizona for Apache Trout. I am looking forward to the many memories we'll make in the future and can't wait to feel the bend as I fish with my new rod."

Last edited by joe; 11-01-2019 at 09:56 AM.