Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 07-14-2014, 04:27 PM

Got the tickets for aug 14th it was 90 one way of corse it's expensive the week after dood
Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 PM

Having taught a lot of people to double haul, I can say that that most important thing is that you can throw 40' of line with a tight loop. If you can do that then you can learn to haul but I agree that a casting lesson is the quickest and easiest way to learn.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Im shure cinda has taught tons of people how to fly fish lets face it she is the best HAHA!
really what you need to do is keep in mind your other hand when your casting.dont let it drop bring it back with your backcast and pull it down with your forward cast its as easy as pie once you get it.dont over think it.Its not super hard its just learning something new.i would do it with fish on the other end thoe
Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 AM

This is the simplest way to learn that I have seen, practice without your rod:

Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM

I found it very hard to learn until I went to fish in LA chasing redfish and I was trying to make very long casts up into water channels we couldn't get the boat in to.

When I was carrying that much line I could feel the rod bending very deep into the blank, everything slows down a bit, and it was easier to get my timing right.

Ever since that trip it's become second nature.

So maybe try doing it with a lot of line out.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:37 PM

The best is Joan Wulff and she has a great method for learning to double haul. Her Dynamics of Fly Casting DVD is possibly the best casting DVD on the market.

www.sexyloops.com is a great site if looking to improve your cast. Here is a double hauling how to: http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/doublehaul.shtml

Last edited by Fly Fish Arizona; 07-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 PM

One question I have is this:

During each haul/pull of the line, do you allow line to slip thru your line hand to extend the length of the cast? Like shooting line? It seems you would have to in order to get distance just like durning a standard cast without a haul.

Maybe that's a dumb question but none of the videos mentioned it. It appears they have a firm grip on the line and aren't letting it slip at the end of each forward/backcast.... I hope my question makes sense...
Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 PM

The haul, is used to increase line speed for further shooting. So yes, let go. I'll let line shoot on the forward and back cast. The fewer amount if false casts the better. So use that haul to your advantage.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 PM

That's what I figured, but since none of the videos/info I've viewed on the subject mentioned it specifically I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not..
I spose its just common sense. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 AM

the back cast is called drifting. For a second you point your thumb backwards and raise your arm and drift back fast. its better it let it out on the back cast than the forward stroke i think.
last nite we had a epic black caddis hatch the whole river had rising fish we lost track of time and had to row the driftboat back at dark 10 pm. I have the next 19 days with out a break guiding.the Missouri river is slowing down and the horn is getting Crazy.If you like dry fly fishing that is.