Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Casting a 2wt?

So being new to this sport I am still trying to figure things out. I have been mainly using my 5wt to learn to cast and been taking lessons with it. I also have a 2wt for creek fishing but haven't really cast with it because the creeks I have been on don't call for it.

The other day I took out the 2wt to practice casting with it and found I suck much worse with it than the 5wt. Distance is awful and the line tends to fall in a bunch. I know I am a poor caster, still learning, but this was awful. Is it possible to cast a 2wt or should I just keep in for creeks only where you are not really casting? Just trying to figure out if I should keep at it or move on?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM

When I first bought a sub wt rod (Echo 7'6" Carbon) I took it out and fished it on a good sized river. I remember feeling the same way!

Those rods are not meant to throw 60' of line. The next time you fish a small stream leave the 5 at home, take the 2 and I think you will be really happy with how it preforms.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Keep it for sure! I have a 6' 1wt that I can cast 25 maybe 30 feet, more than you need on a small creek. The first few times I cast the lighter weight rods I had the same issue as you. When going from a fast action 5wt to my 3 and 1wt's I found I really needed to slow my cast down to get any line out. Keep practicing with it and you will get it. You will love it when you hook a fish on it too!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM

I don't know how fast your 5 wt is, but I bet your 1 wt is much slower. If you cast it like you do a faster rod you will over power it and your line will collapse.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM

To clarify, I plan on keeping the setup. Just trying to figure out if casting on it is something I should be attempting to do and practice with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I don't know how fast your 5 wt is, but I bet your 1 wt is much slower. If you cast it like you do a faster rod you will over power it and your line will collapse.
You are correct, 5wt is a fast action and 2wt is med action.... I tend to put too much power on my cast anyways so I bet you are right.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Flying Monkey

My 2wt casts a mile with a short leader and small fly. Tie something too big on the end of a 12 foot leader and the story changes.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers View Post
To clarify, I plan on keeping the setup. Just trying to figure out if casting on it is something I should be attempting to do and practice with.

You are correct, 5wt is a fast action and 2wt is med action.... I tend to put too much power on my cast anyways so I bet you are right.
Slow it down some and I bet you will notice a nice improvement. I would keep practicing on it because there are times when you will benefit from casting to a hole from a distance if they are spooky.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
Slow it down some and I bet you will notice a nice improvement. I would keep practicing on it because there are times when you will benefit from casting to a hole from a distance if they are spooky.
By slow it down you mean the speed in which I move my arm/rod? Would I keep the same stopping power or would I tone that down too?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Flying Monkey

Slow arm pushing & pulling, fast stops. You may need a heavier line.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM

What are you trying to throw?
Your 5 wt can probably fling a #4 streamer pattern real well but that 2 wt will have its hands full.
I fish a 7ft 2 wt at times and really like it for small dries, but its pretty soft for throwing streamers and heavily weighted nymphs.