Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM

Roll casting

I was practicing my roll cast this weekend while fishing the rim lakes. I had a re-acurring problem. My leader does not turn over at the end of the cast. I tried using tighter loops and fluxuated the speed and charging the line, but nothing worked. It also doesn't matter the distance. It happened with 10ft of line and with 25. I was using a 3wt 7.5ft rod. I also had a furlled leader and about 5-6 ft of 7x tippet to a dry fly. Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 PM

Is the furled leader to soft to make such a cast? I would give a mono leader to see if that makes a difference in your roll casting since mono is stiffer and will transfer the power of the cast from the line to the leader making the fly to turn over.
Second maybe you need a better power chop to turn a furled leader over.
The furled leaders guys here will have a better answer for you since they build them and use them.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

sounds to me like yer not stopping the rod fast enough or quick enough. make sure the rod and line are water loaded start forward and snap stop. dunno how ferled leaders would work, I would think they'd be designed to turn over...I haven't fished them enough. I just find mono more convenient.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 AM

I'm no expert in the casting dept, but I've watched lots of casting videos.

You have to finish your cast just like you would an overhead cast, then lay it down.

I think there is a tendency for some people to "Chop" all the way to the water instead of stopping at 2:00. This will cause your cast to collapse in a pile at the end.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Founding Member

7x tippet

Semper....your problem may be 5-6 ft of 7x tippet....why so much? There's not a lot of mass there. You really only need 2-3 ft of tippet material and I have never had a situation where I needed 7x on any of our lakes. How big was your fly?

dub
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 AM

Shlitz and Mudbug, yall are right. I was following the line to the water with the rod tip. I'll have to try it out in the pool.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
Semper....your problem may be 5-6 ft of 7x tippet....why so much? There's not a lot of mass there. You really only need 2-3 ft of tippet material and I have never had a situation where I needed 7x on any of our lakes. How big was your fly?

dub
The furled leaders I make are only about five and a half feet so I use longer tippet. I was using size 18 BWO.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfishing View Post
Shlitz and Mudbug, yall are right. I was following the line to the water with the rod tip. I'll have to try it out in the pool.
Watch This in Fullscreen
Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Another part of your stop should be making sure the tip of the fly rod is above the handle, you have to give it a chance to extend forward, if the angle of the rod is down it will compress it into the water before it has a chance to unravel completely. A smooth acceleration to an abrubt stop forward and then follow it down to the water, you can come cast in the pond and we can play with your setup. I rarely use the furled leaders but second what the above gentlemen said, as well as the variance of the tippet, maybe try 5x as you step it down (gradually decrease in diameter) if you really want it that light, but 7x is more than is required in most situations.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 PM

I definately was not ending the stroke correectly. I'm not sure the leader had much to do with my problem, but once I work out the proper exicution I will have a better idea. I'm sure it was operator error and not my gear. Thanks to all for the help.