Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > The Open Box

Old 07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Administrator

JR's Cicada - Kevin Krai

The Story:
In 2002 JG and I arrived at Chevelon to the largest Cicada hatch I had ever witnessed. They were buzzing the moment we got out of the truck and when we arrived on the water it was littered with these juicy meals. Problem was we had nothing to match it. Fish were eating these things like crazy and the closest thing I could get was a bush Adams. I came home and went directly to AZ Fly-fishing, Steve hooked me up with a couple Cicadas and teh materials I would need to create my own. The next day I went right back to Chevelon and had teh day of my life, ending with a 5 lb brown which now resides on my wall. Not sure if it is John Rohmer's creation, but it came from his shop so I give him credit. This fly makes a great dry for dry-dropper fishing as it is buoyant and highly visible. I fish it all summer on small creeks to X-mas Tree. I have a ton of confidence in this fly as it has produced several of the biggest trout I have ever caught. I will try it this year on Lees Ferry during the Cicada hatch as well. Enjoy!!!

Tying Instructions:

Materials-
2MM or 3MM black foam
Size 8 or 10 2X long dry fly hook
6/0 orange or yellow thread
Elk hair, krystal flash
Superglue (quick drying in 15 seconds preferable)
Rubber legs

Step 1- Cut strip of foam about one and a half times the length of the hook. Apply superglue to top of hook and place foam on hook. You can either hold foam around hook to get rounded body or just adhere to top of hook for a more flat body.

Step 2- Tie in first body segment, a couple half hitches and cut-off. Tie in second body segment; make sure you leave enough room up top for one more segment as well as room to tie in elk hair and krystal flash. A couple half hitches and cut-off.

Step 3- Tie in final body segment and wrap thread all the way to the eye of the hook. Tie in the elk hair and krystal flash. Bring the excess foam back over the elk hair and tie in the rubber legs.

Step 4- Trim hair, legs, head and taper the back of the body.

-Kevin

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach

Last edited by Dana Parmelee; 07-10-2006 at 10:41 AM.