Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM

When I went to lee's Ferry the big hogs are still there we caught 2 big hogs from shore on a CD 7 rapala lure the biggest one was 16 inches and 2 1/2 pounds!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Aging IT geek

Lee's Ferry 07/17 - 07/18/2010

Fished the walk in area @ Lee's Ferry this past weekend. Never found much of a dry bite (could hear the cicadas though). We camped (darn hot at night). Had an excellent two days on nymph rigs (San Juan worms and black Zebra Midges).

Here's a photo of an 18+" Rainbow being released this past Sunday.........

P7180185.jpg

Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 AM

Fished the Ferry upriver last weekend. The fishing was outstanding as was the health of the fish. Big ugly flies to match the cicadas, heavy nymph rigs, dry droppper, drifting, wading it all worked well. LOTS of 16+ inch fish. One real heavy weight that was fought for 10 minutes before my #20 pulled out. Landed a few 18ers.

I have been fishing the Ferry for over 20 years and after some tough years the fish seem healthy and extremely strong. No complaints here anymore. Hopes? Yes that we can EXPECT a couple 20+ inchers each day but time will tell.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOutdoorsman81 View Post
When I went to lee's Ferry the big hogs are still there we caught 2 big hogs from shore on a CD 7 rapala lure the biggest one was 16 inches and 2 1/2 pounds!
Rapalas rock!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

SAW, what a beautiful and FAT gold back you caught there. BTW guys you need to stop up at Lees Ferry Anglers. I've literally only had one person come into the shop and mention AZFAT I'm usually there Sunday-Thursday, and I'm almost always on property considering most of us live out back of the lodging.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM

I was thinking about heading up to Lee's Ferry for a few days at the end of the month. I'm a beginner at fly fishing, and know nothing about Lee's Ferry. No boat or wading equipment. Hope that isn't too much of a setback.

Hoping to camp at the river's edge. Are there places to park a 26ft trailer up there?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Flying Monkey

I would buy waders or rent a boat or, if you really want to make the most of it, hire a guide.
When I first fished there, I had moderate success. The next day with a guide, I had a great day.
Ive been with a Lee's Ferry guide 3 times and the stuff the guide showed me paid off on every other trip as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Trockenfliegenfishen

Send a message via AIM to mikeyboyaz
I second the Guide, and the waders... the water is pretty cold... though if you are brave perhaps you will just wet wade with some TEVAs and shorts... but let me know how that goes...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabin View Post
I was thinking about heading up to Lee's Ferry for a few days at the end of the month. I'm a beginner at fly fishing, and know nothing about Lee's Ferry. No boat or wading equipment. Hope that isn't too much of a setback.

Hoping to camp at the river's edge. Are there places to park a 26ft trailer up there?
There are some pull-through sites at the NPS campground which should work for your rig. No electrical hook-ups or dump station, but the views are nice. It's not right at the rivers edge, but it's close enough to walk to the river to fish. Upriver with a boat is better, but it is worth a trip just to fish the walk-in in my opinion. I'd stop in at Lees Ferry Anglers on your way in to get latest dope on fishing conditions. I'll be there in early April myself.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
TroutBum

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF View Post
I've fished the San Juan River since I was 9-10 years old since 1969 and encounter more issue then because we were little native invaders on this river and fished where we wanted but sometimes the fly fisherman would say we can't fish there, but being from there you just didn't listen to those visitors.
Now days and since I was 20 years old and fly fishing my heart out since 1979 with proper gear on the Juan. I have had maybe less than a handfull of bad encounter and if it was going in the wrong direction I just moved on, there is plenty of river space even when it very busy with tons of fly casters. You just change your approach and anyway most fishermen nymph on the Juan and that's not what I like to do, I'd rather find knee deep water, look for shadows, and sight cast all day. I do have perference to the Juan anyway it's home water for me....but in no way do I see or be part of any arguing for river spots and it's funny to see grown men fighting over a nymphing hole....when you will do better fishing dries.....

CHIEF
Cheif you nailed that on the spot dont go by what the book says i found that out my first time atthe Juan i fished all day to fish with nymphs and was like screw this swithced to a size 18 compara dun and slayed the fish even when the fish wornt rising i could coax one in to bitting mu dry dry fly was the way to go on the juan for me have to agree with cheif on that one wont tell yea were i was at on the juan lets just say seldomly fished by anglers