Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > Bass Outings

Old 05-12-2015, 07:57 PM

Urban lake

New on the board. Thought I would post a pic of a fly that I made. First 10 minutes of fishing and I hook a small LMB. Looking for some good patterns for bass 5-15lbs in Saguaro. I bass fish there and would prefer to catch them on fly's that I can tie instead of cheating and using spinning rods ect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 PM

Here the fish. Nothing big, but jumped out of the water twice, always fun on a fly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Nice fly and nice bass. Try John Rohmers Diamond hair minnows.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 PM

5 to fifteen lbs? Lol. If you can catch 15lb largemouth on sag you should be fishing the tba tournaments. While saguaro has been putting out huge bags the past few years, I haven't heard of anything over 11...and that is like winning the lottery. Maybe you should be throwing swimbaits.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:38 PM

If they are there, and you can see them, you can catch them. So why not have the fly that works? We have caught bill fish on fly over 100lbs. and everyone said it couldn't be done. Just saying.

Thanks Jo!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 PM

If you want to catch big bass go to canyon. As for the 15lb bass you are chasing... Well we all have dreams.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeskeeter View Post
If they are there, and you can see them, you can catch them. So why not have the fly that works? We have caught bill fish on fly over 100lbs. and everyone said it couldn't be done. Just saying.

Thanks Jo!
I don't think you know what a 15lb largemouth looks like sir.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 PM

Jeez, give the guy a break. Big patterns. Desert Sportsman has some big Rainbow imitations. Big bass are tough on the fly but fun when you get them. I don't think we have any bass that big but there are some big carp and buffalo. Welcome to the board!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bull View Post
Jeez, give the guy a break. Big patterns. Desert Sportsman has some big Rainbow imitations. Big bass are tough on the fly but fun when you get them. I don't think we have any bass that big but there are some big carp and buffalo. Welcome to the board!
The state record is 17. Guys who put in time swimbaiting often catch 8-11, I personally have a buddy who has 50 fish over 10, most out of canyon. A 15 does exist, not like they did before the golden algae kill, but they're in there. I've had ONE fish follow my swimbait that I can honestly say was over 14, but they didn't get that big by being dumb. I would almost put all of my fishing gear on a bet that you will never catch one over 10 on a fly. Not saying it's not possible, but these fish know EXACTLY what they eat. If a $250 swimbait that is hand painted, swims exactly right, falls exactly right and looks exactly right doesn't fool them you're probably not catching one on a fly. Good luck any how.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 AM

This thread is pretty funny, the guy giving the new contributer to our site a hard time about wanting to catch big fish is talking about a 250 dollar lure! I can't think of anything more ridiculous than that. You might notice there are still bait fish in the lakes, meaning bass don't eat every single thing in sight. No matter how perfect a lure is, if the bass isn't hungry, it won't eat. If it is it will eat whatever reasonable thing you put in front of it with a good presentation. I caught a 6# out of and urban lake with a dollar Wooley bugger.

Any fish that can be caught with a lure can be caught with a fly, just have to figure out how.

Mike said he wanted to catch bass 5-15 pounds, certainly not a crazy goal for bass. If he said he wanted 15 or bigger, then maybe some room for ridicule.