Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Wallow Fire

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Round 2 - The Flood

Right now Nutrioso is the focus of preparation for the post-fire flood since the face Escudilla burnt hot. Greer and Eagar will be next,

There have been school buses of fire crews the past two days here at my folks working on clearing the drainages.

We are building a berm across the top of the property with a loader to route any water back into the creek.

Quote:
BAER TRACKS
June 28,2011
Crews continue to work in drainages upstream of Nutrioso removing “floatable” woody debris that could clog culverts downstream. Saw crews from the Arizona State Forestry Department of Corrections are felling hazard trees that could fall across the stream and thereby create a dam that could eventually break and send a wall of water downstream. This debris removal is important in protecting roads and structures.
Crews from Acoma and Fort Apache are working in the drainages of Nutrioso Creek,Paddy Creek,Hulsey Creek,and Milk Creek today and tomorrow;they will move on to Colter Creek. Other drainages near Greer and Eagar are scheduled for debris removal soon.
Meanwhile,the BAER assessment team is finalizing the hydrologic modeling for the Nutrioso area today while they continue their work for the rest of the northern part of the Wallow Fire. Contract preparations continue for the purchase of large quantities of grass,seed,and straw,and for the use of aircraft to apply the seed and straw to vast acreages. Once funding requests are approved (hopefully within a few days) the contracts will be advertized and awarded as soon as possible.
Because the Wallow Fire has affected so many communities,the National Weather Service has issued the following statement:
“Each wildfire burn area poses its own unique risk of flash flooding due to many factors including proximity to population centers … burn severity … steepness of terrain … and size of burned drainage basins.”
“Numerous locations will be vulnerable to flash floods and debris flows even in moderate intensity rain lasting as little as 10 to 15 minutes. Some area streams and rivers are likely to see flows beyond anything seen in decades if typical or above average rains occur this summer. Residents near streams … rivers… or steep burned hillsides should be alert to flooding and debris flows. All residents should be aware that area roadways may become impassible due to mud … rock … and debris slides or due to streams and washes overwhelming existing culverts and bridges. Avoid areas of steep burned terrain or stream channels when rain falls in the area.”
There will be a community meeting in Nutrioso at 6 pm,Wednesday June 29,2011. Also there is a community meeting on Friday July 1,2011 at the Round Valley High School auditorium at 6 pm. These meeting are being hosted by the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests.
For more information about the Wallow Fire and actions needed to help protect residences from possible flooding,please visit 593info.org.
All the creeks listed above had trout populations (apache/bow hybrids) except Milk. I believe they are going to drain Hulsey Lake to use as a catchment. Hopefully they will dredge , refill and restock someday.

Also, all of those waters empty into Nelson, so it may be in trouble as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Seldom,

There is also another tiny trout stream draining the north side of Escudilla Mountain which has historic significance. The tiny population will likely be history because of ash flow.
I have a sketch of Escudilla Mtn. which my son drew for me from the dam of Nelson Res. when he was in 8th grade.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Yeah Joe. The north side of the mountain looks pretty rough as well.

Hulsey Lake will be drained tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 PM

All I can say is be prepared for the worst and believe what the BAER teams, etc. tell you will occur during the flooding. I live at the base of the San Francisco Peaks and at the edge of where the Shultz Fire was last year. When the monsoons came last year it was like nothing I had ever witnessed before with the flooding. The intensity and the amount of water that came down off that mountain was unreal and unimaginable, Mother Nature is unforgiving. My heart goes out to you and all the people up there. It sounds like you are on the right track using heavy equipment to build berms to divert the water. That is what we did around our house and our neighbors house, those that didn't it was devasting. We did not loose any structures to the fire, but the flooding destoyed many homes and also took the life of a little girl.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM

The BAER team told us yesterday that the two drainages behind the place were their top concerns. One of them comes across the property. The crews were here again by the busload today to clear the creeks. We hope to finish the berm tomorrow and then sandbag the upstream side on Saturday. The berm is about four feet high and probably two hundred yards across. I am pooped!

They have started to draw down Nelson Res. to prepare for high inflow.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Have you heard anything about the intensity of the fire? Did it burn hot enough to kill the mature trees? The roots?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 PM

I have a burn intensity map.

In few days, I'll post about it. It will be a pretty big post.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Pine's roots automatically die if anything hampers the needle's input to the roots, like burning, the bark beetle or camper's sawing them down.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Here is the burn severity map off inciweb
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb...-215436-0.jpeg
Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 PM

How are things looking up there Seldom?

We've been getting some decent rain in Pinetop the last couple days...