Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
freddieflyfish's Avatar
freddieflyfish freddieflyfish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,412
Line Question

I have the Rio Gold 8 WF on my 8 weight Sage Xi3. The rod is a fast action rod. I have never had any problem with casting flies but I have not used anything bigger than a deciever#2. Last week Pike fishing at ULM I was using large pike flies and trailing a weighted gotcha Charlie or no trailer. I was having a difficult time even with a double haul getting line speed and casting.
I read where Toddthefrog likes a "Bass" line. I assumed lines didn't make that much difference other than feel, glide and float.
Should I try over lining my rod. In salt I use 350 or 400 depth charge by Orvis and that is a beast to cast but sinks great and stays firm when it's hot. Unfortunately my Orvis line does not tell me much about casting because it is just a beast and not really for presentations.
Any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM
mannychee's Avatar
mannychee mannychee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 84
pull hard when you double haul, and do it from the grip all the way down. So basically, don't get caught double hauling with your arm extended..you'll pull very little line. also try to push the rod using the butt section while keeping the rod path on a straight plane. Abrupt and firm stops are also key for large fly casting. not sure without seeing your cast but a change in fly line brand wont solve other issues. If the cast is good but the leader does not unfold well then its a simple fix of leader formula
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
freddieflyfish's Avatar
freddieflyfish freddieflyfish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannychee View Post
pull hard when you double haul, and do it from the grip all the way down. So basically, don't get caught double hauling with your arm extended..you'll pull very little line. also try to push the rod using the butt section while keeping the rod path on a straight plane. Abrupt and firm stops are also key for large fly casting. not sure without seeing your cast but a change in fly line brand wont solve other issues. If the cast is good but the leader does not unfold well then its a simple fix of leader formula
I just felt like when I would stop hard my fly would pop and by rod was like a board. I finally went to a short round cast so I could get my fly over my leader. My leader was 24”40lb 24” 30lb and 24” 20. I was told to go 15” 15” 15” and then 40lb for a bite leader but like an idiot I didn’t follow it exactly. So you’re saying what I thought in the first place……the problem is most likely in my casting or my leader and not the fly line? Should I go with half my leader 50lb and then 40 30 20 for the other half with the 40 30 20 being the other half of a 9 foot leader and try to problem solve from there?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Flats Man's Avatar
Flats Man Flats Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,472
You might look at the Clouser taper in a 9wt for the applicantion you are talking about. I own several Xi2's and 3, and always go up at least 1 line weight. For large baitfish stuff on my 8 and 10 wt, the clouser lines are great for floating lines...
__________________
Cheers <")))><
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
freddieflyfish's Avatar
freddieflyfish freddieflyfish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flats Man View Post
You might look at the Clouser taper in a 9wt for the applicantion you are talking about. I own several Xi2's and 3, and always go up at least 1 line weight. For large baitfish stuff on my 8 and 10 wt, the clouser lines are great for floating lines...
Thanks. That's good information. Do you think if I went to a 10 that would be too much? I wonder where I could try different lines? I only have depth charge 400 and a Jim Sweeny 350 30 foot floating. I have a 10 weight that is progressive taper and woudln't mind getting a line that might work on both.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Norty's Avatar
Norty Norty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,086
I've been fishing RIOs Outbound Short and it turns over big bugs nicely. I emailed back and forth with Simon and he thought it would be best for what I was doing. I think he was right.
__________________
www.sleepwhenyouredead.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Driwash's Avatar
Driwash Driwash is offline
Squirt The Dirt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
Posts: 629
You can also call RIO and they will tell you what line best fits your Rod/Application......


RIO Products' phone: 208-524-7760 800-553-0838 (Customer Service)
__________________
Dan

Last edited by Driwash; 04-26-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added #'s
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
AzMandella AzMandella is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norty View Post
I've been fishing RIOs Outbound Short and it turns over big bugs nicely. I emailed back and forth with Simon and he thought it would be best for what I was doing. I think he was right.
Bingo. When throwing big heavy flies it is much easier with an agresive head taper. Clouser or outbounds are some of the best. Some Bass tapers will also work well. A Rio gold WF trout taper will not cut it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Logos, Trademarks are property of their owners. Other content Copyright 2006-2015 azflyandtie.com . All Rights Reserved.