Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM

Line Question

I have the Rio Gold 8 WF on my 8 weight Sage Xi3. The rod is a fast action rod. I have never had any problem with casting flies but I have not used anything bigger than a deciever#2. Last week Pike fishing at ULM I was using large pike flies and trailing a weighted gotcha Charlie or no trailer. I was having a difficult time even with a double haul getting line speed and casting.
I read where Toddthefrog likes a "Bass" line. I assumed lines didn't make that much difference other than feel, glide and float.
Should I try over lining my rod. In salt I use 350 or 400 depth charge by Orvis and that is a beast to cast but sinks great and stays firm when it's hot. Unfortunately my Orvis line does not tell me much about casting because it is just a beast and not really for presentations.
Any advice?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM

pull hard when you double haul, and do it from the grip all the way down. So basically, don't get caught double hauling with your arm extended..you'll pull very little line. also try to push the rod using the butt section while keeping the rod path on a straight plane. Abrupt and firm stops are also key for large fly casting. not sure without seeing your cast but a change in fly line brand wont solve other issues. If the cast is good but the leader does not unfold well then its a simple fix of leader formula
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannychee View Post
pull hard when you double haul, and do it from the grip all the way down. So basically, don't get caught double hauling with your arm extended..you'll pull very little line. also try to push the rod using the butt section while keeping the rod path on a straight plane. Abrupt and firm stops are also key for large fly casting. not sure without seeing your cast but a change in fly line brand wont solve other issues. If the cast is good but the leader does not unfold well then its a simple fix of leader formula
I just felt like when I would stop hard my fly would pop and by rod was like a board. I finally went to a short round cast so I could get my fly over my leader. My leader was 24”40lb 24” 30lb and 24” 20. I was told to go 15” 15” 15” and then 40lb for a bite leader but like an idiot I didn’t follow it exactly. So you’re saying what I thought in the first place……the problem is most likely in my casting or my leader and not the fly line? Should I go with half my leader 50lb and then 40 30 20 for the other half with the 40 30 20 being the other half of a 9 foot leader and try to problem solve from there?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM

You might look at the Clouser taper in a 9wt for the applicantion you are talking about. I own several Xi2's and 3, and always go up at least 1 line weight. For large baitfish stuff on my 8 and 10 wt, the clouser lines are great for floating lines...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flats Man View Post
You might look at the Clouser taper in a 9wt for the applicantion you are talking about. I own several Xi2's and 3, and always go up at least 1 line weight. For large baitfish stuff on my 8 and 10 wt, the clouser lines are great for floating lines...
Thanks. That's good information. Do you think if I went to a 10 that would be too much? I wonder where I could try different lines? I only have depth charge 400 and a Jim Sweeny 350 30 foot floating. I have a 10 weight that is progressive taper and woudln't mind getting a line that might work on both.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM

I've been fishing RIOs Outbound Short and it turns over big bugs nicely. I emailed back and forth with Simon and he thought it would be best for what I was doing. I think he was right.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Squirt The Dirt

You can also call RIO and they will tell you what line best fits your Rod/Application......

RIO Products' phone: 208-524-7760 800-553-0838 (Customer Service)

Last edited by Driwash; 04-26-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added #'s
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norty View Post
I've been fishing RIOs Outbound Short and it turns over big bugs nicely. I emailed back and forth with Simon and he thought it would be best for what I was doing. I think he was right.
Bingo. When throwing big heavy flies it is much easier with an agresive head taper. Clouser or outbounds are some of the best. Some Bass tapers will also work well. A Rio gold WF trout taper will not cut it.