Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Bass flies

Hey everyone My name is Dennis kind of new to the site. I am heading up to saguaro tomorrow early on a bass boat. My fishing buddy is not a fly fisherman and I am new to bass on the fly. Does anyone have any suggestions on flies? We went a couple of weeks ago and I hooked into 3 by stripping a black semi quickly in front of blue gills over the bass beds. When the bass would chase the gills off they would then turn on my semi. Worked pretty fair but took me a while to figure out. Any info would be great. (love outfishing the non-fly guys)
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Flying Monkey

The SSL is a great bass fly. If I was to take a handfull of flies to Saggy, I would take SimiSeal Leaches, Clousers, Diamond Hair Minnows, Ultra Foxy Minnows and some rubber legged Reapers.
When it gets warmer, I'll be using Gartside's Gurglers a lot.
For colors, I would try Chartreuse/white, silverish minnow colors and greenish live crawdadish colors (like bronze peacock.)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Founding Member

bass flies

We pretty much use baitfish patterns and any crawly rubbery legged thing that resembles something a bass would eat. When I first started getting into bass I was using flies way too small. Don't be afraid to fish big flies, especially streamers. It gives you a better shot at a big bass. A big fly will move a big bass sometimes when it's not worth it for him to chase a smaller bait. Top water action will be starting soon so divers, frogs, Gurglers will all be good choices.

dub