Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 AM

Couple Carp Questions

I'm visiting Phoenix and will be looking to track down some carp. I remember a few spots from last time I was there 5 or 6 years ago, but I never really found the size. So this year I want to fish the canals, see if I can't get a grass carp or a bigger common or mirror. So I'm wondering, do pretty much all the canals hold fish? And will I get arrested if I fish them?

Also, will the carp be spawning then, or when do carp spawn around Phoenix?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by carpflyguy; 01-30-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 PM

sorry, meant to respond earlier.

theres not a lot of commons in the canals.. they are in there.. just not in a lot of numbers.. and the ones that are.. aren't the size you are probably hoping to catch.

for big carp. you have to do some work at the salt river.. ( they are spread around , but mainly lower, where its slow.) or at one of the big reservoirs. where finding them shallow enough to present a fly that you know they will eat creates a whole new world of hurt.

there are some big boys in the golf courses, tempe town lake even has a few.

if you want more info or you know where you are going.. shoot me a PM , id be happy to help.. or at least point ya in the right direction as far as presentations/ flies are concerned.

cheers!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:01 PM

You can fish the canals with a fishing license. Just make sure to put back the White Amur if you get one.

Most of the carp I've seen in the canals aren't that big, but I've definitely seen groups of them that were quite massive.

As for locations, there's one where Ive seen decent sized carp on frequent occasion that will get you off your Baseline heart rate and will get you begging for a Priest... (how's that for subtlety)

The other place I know that has monster carp is unfortunately a private lake. Wish I could help ya out on that one.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM

Great! Thanks guys! I know a spot where I can catch some carp from 2-8 pounds consistently, but figured some of the other spots hold bigger carp. I saw some huge carp in Tempe Town Lake last year, so I'll probably try there again. And the Salt River comes off of the lake, if I'm not mistaking? That's a good option too.

And running into a grass carp would be cool! Don't have them where I live.

Where I live, carp spawn in April. I assume this is different in AZ?

Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpflyguy View Post
Great! Thanks guys! I know a spot where I can catch some carp from 2-8 pounds consistently, but figured some of the other spots hold bigger carp. I saw some huge carp in Tempe Town Lake last year, so I'll probably try there again. And the Salt River comes off of the lake, if I'm not mistaking? That's a good option too.

And running into a grass carp would be cool! Don't have them where I live.

Where I live, carp spawn in April. I assume this is different in AZ?

Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it.
Do not try to fish the Salt river as it enters or exits Tempe Town Lake. It is a no trespassing area and the police are very eager to hand out tickets around there. My friend and I a while back were fishing legally at the far north east corner of Tempe town Lake and Tempe police still issued us trespassing tickets. We had to go to court twice and prove that we were fishing in a legal area (as per what Tempe has posted on their website) and it was dismissed. Not worth the hassle though…. Just trying to save you a headache…

The salt River that lostdutchman referred to is the portion of the river much farther upstream where it comes out of Saguaro Lake.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:37 PM

SAT,

Thanks for posting !!!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
Do not try to fish the Salt river as it enters or exits Tempe Town Lake. It is a no trespassing area and the police are very eager to hand out tickets around there. My friend and I a while back were fishing legally at the far north east corner of Tempe town Lake and Tempe police still issued us trespassing tickets. We had to go to court twice and prove that we were fishing in a legal area (as per what Tempe has posted on their website) and it was dismissed. Not worth the hassle though…. Just trying to save you a headache…

The salt River that lostdutchman referred to is the portion of the river much farther upstream where it comes out of Saguaro Lake.
Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't want to have to spend my vacation there in court I appreciate it
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't want to have to spend my vacation there in court I appreciate it
No problem! Enjoy your visit and post a carp report if you have success!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I'm visiting Phoenix in mid April, and will be looking to track down some carp. I remember a few spots from last time I was there, but I never really found the size. So this year I want to fish the canals, see if I can't get a grass carp or a bigger common or mirror. So I'm wondering, do pretty much all the canals hold fish? And will I get arrested if I fish them?

Also, will the carp be spawning then, or when do carp spawn around Phoenix?

Thanks in advance.
You're welcome to come fish the ponds in my backyard if i'm in town. Got big grassies (30+ inches) and lots of commons. Fishunter caught a mirror carp here a coupe of years ago as well. Just shoot me a PM when you get into town.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadders View Post
You're welcome to come fish the ponds in my backyard if i'm in town. Got big grassies (30+ inches) and lots of commons. Fishunter caught a mirror carp here a coupe of years ago as well. Just shoot me a PM when you get into town.
That'd be awsome! I'll shoot you a PM when I'm in. Thanks!