Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 AM

TFO Clouser or TFO BVK

So, I'm going to be getting a new 5 or 6wt, and I've narrowed it down to 2 rods...the TFO Clouser or the TFO BVK. Can anyone who has casted both rods, tell me which one is better?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:40 AM

What specifically would you like it to do? Other than catch fish of course! I own the BVK in a 6wt and it's a good versatile rod. Having cast both, I'd say if it's a tool for very heavy flies or frequent tandem rigs and split shot I'd lean towards the Clouser. It's built more like their saltwater rods with the same coating and is a bit stronger with more lift/"umph" but is much heavier... a 5 wt is 1.9 oz heavier than a BVK 5wt and a 6wt is 2.2 oz heavier than a BVK 6wt. (total rods weights are 4.8 and 2.9 oz respectively and 5.2 and 3.0) For windy situations, occasional heavy flies and a little extra "umph" I would go with the BVK. "Better" is a relative term, it's more like a tool box, pick traits that are better for the job you want to accomplish, only rods are way more fun and gorgeous. Just my 2cents

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:51 AM

Thanks Flygirl!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:21 AM

I love TFO rods.. I've busted two... and the warranty is unbelievable.. Send them the busted rod, $25 and then in like a week you get a brand new rod.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I haven't owned a BVK but this summer I bought a Clouser and I think its great. The thing to remember though is that the Clouser is designed to throw heavier flies, and it does exactly that. I bought this in a 7 weight specifically to throw giant flies off the deck of my Tracker and I can cast some crazy heavy 7" jointed streamers with barbell eyes big enough to fish in 20' of water. I wouldn't think it would be ideal for the all around trout rod, but if you normally fish with two tungsten beaded flies with 3 split shots and a giant thingamabobber on a windy day, it would be the ideal rod.

I wish all rods had that warranty. I've broken three 7 weights in the last season and a half.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:31 PM
OLD FART

The ideal situation would be for you to cast both rods, then make a decision.
My 6wt BVK throws some pretty heavy stuff, but it is more like chuck-and duck casting which is not enjoyable with the dumbell eyes and added lead wraps on the fly. Sometimes I wonder why I do this stuff.
The fish I have hooked (certainly not my fault) have broken 3 of my TFO's in the past 5 years; 6wt, 9wt, and 10wt.
It is almost embarrasing to send a rod back to them. They discontinued the 6wt that I had so they called me to check if it was OK to upgrade to a newer model.